Student design to appear on calendar

61

By Lisa Thompson

An image of computer-generated harps created by a BYU student will be distributed to about 300,000 people worldwide as a winning entry in the 2004 Electronic Data Systems Calendar Contest.

The winning image, submitted by Jeff Midgley, a senior from Plano, Texas, majoring in mechanical engineering, was one of over 100 entered. The entries were judged on their aesthetic appeal and the way they used the company”s software.

Greg Jensen, an associate professor of mechanical engineering, said many of the entries came from professionals who had been using computer aided design programs for years.

Midgley recently taught himself the program and created the images in an effort to become acquainted with it. He created various images of harps over the summer and entered three in the contest.

“I was interested in the structure and mechanism of harps, so I went to the library to see what I could find out,” he said.

Jensen said Unigraphics, the program Midgley used, is usually utilized in designing mechanical components such as airplanes and cars. He told Midgley he didn”t know if Unigraphics was capable of designing a harp.

“Jeff did a really incredible thing,” Jensen said. “Every time I”ve been associated with him he goes the extra mile.”

Over the summer Midgley consulted Jensen about any problems he came across with the software. Jensen said he would point Midgley to the online software and told him how to retrieve basic online instructions.

“He just took off,” Jensen said. “Late in the summer he walks in and says it”s done. He just took it and ran with it.”

Midgley said he had fun creating the images.

“I really like doing this kind of thing,” he said. “It”s the closest I can get to art. I can use my creativity.”

Midgley said using the computer-aided design program helped him become familiar with the software he is expected to use in his field. He is now working on to create a car.

“I think this [accomplishment] says that we have some pretty incredible students, and Jeff is one of them,” Jensen said. “It represents the university really well.”