Book of Mormon Story

65

By Chauntelle Plewe

For Gary Rogers, “The Book of Mormon Movie” screening Tuesday, August 12, at Jordan Commons was the culmination of years of dreaming.

“It was one of the greatest experiences of my life,” said Gary Rogers, the movie”s producer, writer and director. “It”s something I”ve dreamed of for 48 years.”

The audience applause lasted a few minutes as the closing credits rolled. The screening was mainly restricted to the cast, crew and the families of those involved in the movie. It was the first time any of the filmmakers saw it on the big screen, and the only time it will be shown before the world premiere on Sept. 10 at Jordon Commons.

Most members of the audience praised the movie as they left the theater.

During the movie, the audience snickered as Laman apologized to Nephi, appeared to grow queasy as Laban”s blood splattered Nephi”s face and sat silent when Nephi and his wife-to-be shared a romantic moment.

“I was glad to hear them reacting,” said Dave Hales, co-producer of the film. “I”ll sleep better tonight.”

Hales said it was great to see the movie on the big screen after watching it for so long on the tiny editing screens.

“It”s really rewarding to see something you”ve worked on on the big screen,” said Ira Baker, the film”s editor and a BYU alumni.

Bryce Chamberlain, who played Lehi, said it was fun to see the movie in its completed form for the first time.

“To see the whole entourage and realize that I”d worked in the ensemble … that was the thrill for me,” he said. “The film spoke volumes in terms of honesty. I was impressed.”

The majority of the audience had a similar reaction to the movie.

Bud Letchbirge, the movie”s first investor, congratulated Rogers.

“You did it,” he said.

For months, Letchbirge was reluctant to fund the project, but he finally decided to support Rogers. The filmmakers hope the film”s earnings will fund the rest of the series.

“We”re going to play it by ear,” Hales said. “There”s at least five or seven more we could do.”

“The Book of Mormon Movie” will be released to Utah theaters Sept. 12.