Viewpoint: Give Martha a break

80

By Rachel Sego

Being accused of insider trading is not a good thing.

Martha Stewart, homemaker and entrepreneurial genius is in the hot seat now after being accused of receiving exclusive information about ImClone, a biotechnology company Stewart owned shares of stock in. Stewart sold her shares recently, right before the FDA rejected ImClone”s cancer drug, thus driving ImClone”s stock price down. Stewart and her business practices have consequentially come under heavy scrutiny, but is it really fair?

Martha Stewart is the woman everyone loves to hate. She”s successful. She”s smart. And she”s loaded. Why does that turn so many people off?

I”d like to speak a word of defense in Martha”s behalf. While everyone else barrages her with their criticism and disdain, I choose to hope she is innocent of such heinous crimes.

Call me na?ve, call me Martha”s biggest fan, but there are a lot of things to admire about the woman.

First of all, I like Martha because she represents intelligent, successful women everywhere. She is a self-made woman, from her modeling career to her omnimedia empire. She works hard, and has quite a bit to show for it.

Secondly, Martha and I share a common heritage – we both radiate Polish pride. Her critics may harass her for it, but I think it”s admirable that she is not ashamed of her roots. I would venture to say Martha Stewart is the Oprah Winfrey of Polish-Americans. I just feel my culture is a little better represented every time I tune in to her television show or pick up one of her magazines. I find comfort in knowing there is someone out there who can teach me how to make babka and kielbasa now that my great-grandmother Czeslawa Stryjewski has passed on.

And who can deny that Martha has good ideas. Sure, sometimes they”re not realistic, and sometimes you have to question whether or not they are all originally hers, but they are good ideas. Because of Martha, I always create my own party invitations. Because of Martha, I organize the clothes in my closet by type and color. Because of Martha, I”ll have sparklers at my wedding reception instead of rice or bubbles.

Finally, we cannot forget Martha”s heroic efforts in staying with K-Mart through its demise. How many times has that company been in financial trouble? But Martha was willing to overlook all the financial woes and stand by K-Mart, and is helping the corporation through these difficult times. Why can”t the K-Mart class people give her a hand up or at least the benefit of the doubt?

You may not like Martha as I do. You may even think she has scratched and clawed her way to the top, not caring who she trampled on. Maybe it”s true, but then again, maybe it isn”t. Just remember, being judgmental is also not a good thing.