Maxwell wows crowd at conference close

39

By Jonathan Wardle

Accompanied by a hymn of praise, thousands of women rose in appreciation for the conference proceedings as the 2002 BYU Women”s Conference came to a close.

“I couldn”t even stand up, I was so overwhelmed,” said Kathy Haslam of Bountiful, Davis County. “I couldn”t even leave my seat because the power of that statement was so forceful.”

At the closing session of the conference, Elder Neal A. Maxwell of the Quorom of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints thanked the thousands of women gathered at the Marriott Center for the sacrifices they make and counseled them to build character through love and longsuffering.

Elder Maxwell said emulating Christ is the key to building character.

“It is by His light that we need to see everything else,” Maxwell said. “His disciples are the real realists.”

He said all other virtues derive from love, and he urged women to face the mundane by building character with love.

“God and Jesus are never bored with their one eternal round, whatever that phrase is meant to convey,” Maxwell said, “because of their perfect love.”

Women from around the nation gathered for Maxwell”s remarks.

Carol Williams from Las Vegas, Nev., said she felt peace during his talk.

“Building our homes and families on a good foundation requires character,” Williams said.

Carol Taylor from Bountiful, Utah, said she felt Elder Maxwell”s comments were uplifting.

“I just think we”re all doing the best we can,” Taylor said. “Today”s world is tough. I love being validated for doing the best I can.”