Football academic coach keeps students on track

109

By Mike Rigell

Growing up in the inner city of the Bronx is no cakewalk. Just ask academic football advisor E.J. Caffaro.

Caffaro said he grew up never knowing what life in the Bronx would bring him. Now life has brought Caffaro to a home at BYU.

Being raised in a tough neighborhood taught Caffaro to work hard.

“Growing up in the Bronx, I didn”t think it was that rough. I just thought it was survival of the fittest,” Caffaro said.

As the first person in his immediate family to graduate from high school, he said he made up his mind that he did not want to be considered a statistic.

After high school he came to BYU, and during his sophomore year he was a walk-on for the football team.

In 1984 after graduating from BYU, Caffaro took a job on Wall Street.

“While I was working there I kept having these desires to go back and be part of athletics,” Caffaro said.

Two years after he started working in New York”s financial district, he received a call from head coach Gary Crowton, who was coaching at Snow College at the time.

Crowton and Caffaro had met in the MTC, where they were physical education instructors together.

Crowton offered Caffaro a coaching position and Caffaro was eager to take the opportunity. There he coached the defensive line and was the special teams coordinator.

In 1991, Caffaro moved from Snow College to Ricks, where he was hired as the head basketball coach and taught math.

Last year, Caffaro made his move to BYU. Two circumstances influenced his decision. Ricks was eliminating its athletic programs and his long-time friend and coaching partner, Crowton, became BYU”s head football coach. Crowton asked Caffaro to be the academic advisor.

As an academic advisor, Caffaro”s list of responsibilities is long. He works behind the scenes to help athletes juggle school, practice, team meetings and workouts. Ultimately, he is responsible for guiding each athlete to graduation. He also assigns tutors, oversees class schedules, runs study hall and meets with players on a weekly basis.

With all the changes Caffaro has made, making a difference in students” lives, especially athletes, has made his job a more rewarding experience.

“My goal is to help these young men be successful in the classroom and work toward a goal of graduation,” Caffaro said.

In just a short amount of time at BYU, Caffaro has impacted the lives of many athletes both on and off the football field.

“Coach Caffaro sincerely cares about each of us and is willing to do anything to help us succeed,” said defensive back Jernaro Gilford.

Caffaro admits the pressures of school can be overwhelming for any student. Helping athletes to stay motivated and never give up is one of his main goals.

“I try to teach them to get things done, not for me, but hopefully I can influence them enough to let them know that the things they are getting done is for their own good.”

Although Caffaro has only worked at BYU for a year, he said he has developed an appreciation for the athletes he mentors.

“My favorite part of this job will be when I can take my camera and take pictures of those people who have graduated and gone through the program,” Caffaro said. “When I see all the guys walk down that aisle with a cap and gown on, that will be my favorite part of this job.”