Students face prospect of military draft

122

By Michael Pedersen

With the United States in the midst of war, BYU students wonder if they will be drafted.

While such a scenario is likely months or years away, the prospects of military service have altered some students” plans.

Drew Ballard, 21, a sophomore from Pueblo, Colo., majoring in international studies, thought his life was planned for the next few years.

Although Ballard would quickly go to war if he were asked, he has reservations because he”s not sure how military action would shape his future.

“After my mission, I had planned on finishing school, getting married and starting a family,” he said. “With the United States going to war, everything I had planned to do will be influenced if I”m called to go. This is upsetting.”

Ballard”s family has a history of military service: Ballard”s brother fought in the Gulf War, his father in the Vietnam War, his grandfather in the Korean War; and his great-grandfather in World War I.

“I, too, would go because it”s just the right thing to do, and President Hinckley said we need to back up the government 100 percent,” Ballard said.

The draft has not been instituted since the Vietnam War, but experts predict a prolonged ground war in Afghanistan could require a massive mobilization.

Regardless, students at the campus ROTC know they won”t be going to war anytime soon – at least not while they”re at BYU.

ROTC cadets cannot be called into service until they graduate, said Brandon Stewart, 25, a fourth-year cadet in the Air Force ROTC majoring in manufacturing engineering.

He said people at BYU are nervous because it”s a new thing to them.

“People are curious as to how the U.S. military will be involved,” he said. “For a lot of us at our age, this is the first time something like this has happened.”

Tim McCreary, 26, a fourth-year cadet in the Army ROTC majoring in psychology, will graduate in April and realizes his chances of being called to war may increase thereafter.

“I”d go in a heartbeat if I were called to go. I”m not anxious to go because I have a family to take care of and a career in the future, but I”d be willing to go,” McCreary said.

Other students have had the same reaction.

Chris Quackembush, 22, of Payson, majoring in zoology, said he would also go if he were drafted.

“I don”t want to go. I have no desire to die. But I”d go if I had to because I support President Bush,” he said.

Others, such as Nathan Beard, 23, from Sedata, Mo., majoring in political science, have no reservations.

Beard said he would go if he were drafted.

“I love this country and we have to defend it,” he said. “We need to do whatever it takes to do that.”

President Gordon B. Hinckley, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints offered comfort to members worldwide Sunday at general conference.

President Hinckley urged members to support President Bush and the government as it pursues its war against terrorism.

“Those of us who are American citizens stand solidly with the President of our nation. The terrible forces of evil must be confronted and held accountable for their actions,” President Hinckley said.