Richards comes off bench as freshman to be new team force

47

By Sam Araki

In an unexpected move to enhance its attack, the Cougars women”s volleyball team quietly brought freshman outside hitter/setter Lauren Richards out of redshirt status for its road trip to Wyoming and No. 8 Colorado State October 5 and 6, respectively.

BYU”s volleyball hierarchy planned to have Richards redshirt this season, effectively restricting her from touching the competitive court this year.

“We were looking to find the strongest combination possible, because we feel like we have a good senior team that deserves the best opportunity to be as successful as possible,” said Elaine Michaelis, BYU women”s head volleyball coach.

Richards almost secretively honed her game in practice and watched matches on the sidelines, unable to participate.

She was surprised at the prospect of actually being able to compete in matches.

“I didn”t think they were serious,” Richards said. “Then I started thinking, and I got really excited and happy about it.”

Richards missed the first 10 matches of the year due to her redshirt status, and made her collegiate debut against Wyoming on Friday, October 5. She contributed seven kills in a sweep of Wyoming.

“It was so much fun,” Richards said. “It felt like I”ve played with the girls forever. It didn”t feel like my first game, because I knew they had faith in me.”

Although Richards struggled with only one kill against Colorado State, the Rams dominated the Cougars as a whole.

“She has not been preparing to be an outside hitter,” Michaelis said. “She had one day in practice, in which we had her practice that (position) as being a possible role for her.”

Michaelis is acutely aware that Richards was thrown into a shark tank, and was impressed with her on-court knowledge of the game.

“She has had no experience and has had no training yet in that position at our level, and I think it”s important that people understand that,” Michaelis said. “She did a good job, and has great potential as a player.”

Richards is the antithesis of the brash, unapologetic athlete whose potential demands attention. Richards was unassuming and team-oriented as she quietly awaited the opportunity to play next year.

A ballyhooed recruit out of Timpanogos High School, Richards has seemingly been destined for stardom. She came to BYU as one of its highest-rated recruits ever, with the credentials to back her status.

Richards, an outside hitter in high school, was a setter on the U.S. Junior National Team, and practiced for the first part of the season as a setter.

Richards was also a high school All-American and a two-time Utah 5A State MVP as an outside hitter at Timpanogos High School.

As a high school senior, Richards was named to Volleyball magazine”s “Fab 50″ recruiting list, and she was considered the No. 12 prospect in the nation.

Richard”s parents, David and Lori, both played volleyball at BYU and coached their daughter”s club team for six years.

“They”ve always encouraged me and pushed me hard because they knew I could do it,” Richards said. “We are so close. They are definitely my best friends.”

Although Richards felt pressure at the prospects of playing for a national volleyball powerhouse, her mother offered some simple advice.

“My mom told me, ”This is what you want to do, this is what you”re doing, so do it”,” Richards said.