Letter to the Editor: Give Fall Fling money to relief effort

30

Dear Editor,

Like many students, I had been looking forward to Fall Fling since the first day of school. It is always sure to be a fun-filled evening that provides us the opportunity to relax a bit and to meet new people.

Nevertheless, the events of Sept. 11, 2001 have served to put much of what we take for granted every day into perspective. The question of what is truly important is a very different question now, one that deserves a much more profound and mature response than it normally receives.

How does this relate to Fall Fling? As I understand it, BYUSA cancelled Fall Fling, and rightly so, out of respect to President Bush’s call for Friday to be dedicated to national prayer and mourning for those who have died and for those who continue to grieve, not knowing if their loved ones are alive or not. I further understand that BYUSA is considering rescheduling Fall Fling.

I would propose that the funds that would have been expended on Fall Fling be donated to the relief efforts in New York and Washington, D.C.

As a missionary I always heard the phrase, “Pray as if everything depended on God. Work as if everything depended on you.” Prayer is only the first step. Let us now take the action of going without so that we can help to “comfort those in need of comfort.” If you support this idea, I encourage you to make your opinion known to Misa Matsumori or David Cashman, both Fall Fling program directors of BYUSA.

May God continue to bless this great nation.

Jeremiah Grant

Farmington, Davis County