The role of the groom defined

104

By Darin Helfend

Amidst the frenzied excitement of wedding planning, which usually includes the bride, her friends, the bride”s mother and stacks of bridal magazines, one key element is usually overlooked – the groom.

“Weddings are what girls dream about all their lives,” said J.R. Edwards, 23, a senior majoring in chemical engineering, from Malta, Idaho who plans to wed in March.

Groom roles in wedding planning have not been officially defined, but the general consensus is, “Whatever you say dear, I love you.”

The grooms of today seem to be willing to help in any way they can.

“I want to be able to help her fulfill her every fantasy about the perfect wedding,” Edwards said.

The general consensus is for grooms to take a relaxed approach when asked to help plan.

“I don”t really care about what colors we have, but I will give my opinion if I am asked for it,” Edwards said.

“Traditionally, the groom is responsible for the tuxes and the flowers, but the times have changed,” said Karen Barkdull, a consultant from I Do…Weddings, a local wedding consulting company.

Single students said they would take a realistic approach when planning for their weddings.

“My role is to say yes to everything she wants and to comfort her when she cries,” said D. Jabbi Eberting, 26, a junior at Utah Valley State College from Seattle, Wash., majoring in business.

“I”ll help her be more decisive but I will not take charge because that responsibility belongs to her mother,” said Eberting.

Another student is willing to work along side with his bride, when the time comes.

“It”s important to be a part of the planning process,” said Ryan Nelson, 25, a senior from Fruit Heights, Davis County majoring in computer science.

“The guys should go with the ladies when they register and should also help send out the invitations…licking envelopes is not an easy job,” Nelson said.

Despite how apathetic the groom may seem, even if he says he could care less, he probably doesn”t mean it.

“One couple and the bride”s mother came in to consult with me about invitations and colors, but the groom just sat in the corner and didn”t give any input,” Barkdull said.

“He said that this wasn”t in his job description and went to be alone in the lobby,” Barkdull said.

“When the bride and her mother came out with their final decision on invitations and colors, the groom suddenly had an opinion and disagreed with their decision,” Barkdull said.

Grooms, the raise your voices and become an integral part of the wedding planning process.

If all else fails, remember these magic words, “Whatever you say dear, I love you.”