Intramural finals this week

83

By Rachel Gardner

Instead of hitting the books, students hit the fields and courts in preparation for the intramural finals.

As the semester winds down the tournaments for fall intramural sports are in their finals.

“The Intramural Program tradition dates back to the early 1900s,” said Kristen Johnson assistant director of the intramural program.

The purpose of the program is to provide activities for students to help contribute to them physically, socially, intellectually, spiritually and emotionally, Johnson said.

Students were able to participate in coed volleyball, coed basketball, men and women’s indoor soccer, men and women’s tennis doubles, racquetball doubles, men and women’s flag football and ultimate Frisbee were offered during the fall season.

“Football, soccer and volleyball are the three most popular sports this year,” Johnson said.

Winners of the championships receive an intramural T-shirt that was designed by Ben Harmon, Johnson said.

“Shirts are given to the winners of each sport for every division right after the championship game,” Johnson said.

The intramural program offers divisions for different skill levels in each activity.

“During the regular season, the game officials and supervisors rank each team during every game on a level of one to five,” said Elizabeth Torgesen, 21, a senior from Tomball, Texas majoring in home economics education, the intramural secretary.

The teams are ranked for their basic skills and how they work as a team. Their rankings are averaged and they are then placed in divisions according to their averages, Torgesen said.

“Division I is the highest level of play and is played in double elimination,” Torgesen said.

Coed volleyball division I championship game will be at 8 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 6, in 144 RB.

Men’s indoor soccer division I finals will be Wednesday at 9 p.m. in 138 RB.

Women’s flag football division I will rematch Wednesday for its second final game between the Goggles and The Fiefs at 8 p.m. on West Stadium Field No. 1.

Women’s indoor soccer division I will wrap up the season Wednesday at 9 p.m. in 156 RB.

The winner for men’s flag football division I will be decided Tuesday night in a game between Cobra Cai and Blitzkreig.

Travis Laird and Rodney Hinze won division I men’s tennis doubles. David Black and Bruce snow were the winners of the racquetball doubles division I. Flying Skirts was the winning team of Ultimate Frisbee division I. Becky Muir and Mary Ann Clarke won women’s tennis doubles division I.