Rule change may disqulaify two men’s soccer goalkeepers

76

By Jeffrey Blackmun

The BYU men’s soccer team is in danger of losing its top two goalkeepers due to a rule change.

In 1999, a new rule was put on the National Intramural Recreational and Sports Association (NIRSA) books that makes any player who received money to play soccer ineligible for the Collegiate Club National Championship – the same championship BYU has won four years in a row.

Both John Morris and Chad Sackett were paid to play for the Utah Blitzz, an outdoor professional soccer team, last summer.

As it stands, the new rule would disqualify Morris and Sackett from the national tournament in November, BYU coach Chris Watkins said.

“We had no idea. We’re one of the most regulated schools. We didn’t think twice about the national committee having a rule that we didn’t have,” Watkins said.

The potential loss of Morris and Sackett would be a huge blow to the team, Watkins said.

“This is major. Our chemistry will be affected because both John and Chad are leaders on the team,” Watkins said.

“The energy is drained out of them.”

Morris and Sackett split starts in the national tournament last season, each winning three games as the Cougars went on to win its fourth-straight national title.

Morris said if he would have known about the rule change, he wouldn’t have signed a contract to play with the Blitzz.

“I feel like I’m being punished for someone else’s mistake,” Morris said.

For Sackett, the possible disqualification would be disappointing.

“I totally understand the situation. But it’s frustrating because I just healed from a dislocated elbow and now I may not be able to play,” Sackett said.

Beyond playing, Sackett said it would be tough to leave the team.

“My whole life I’ve practiced from 5 to 7 p.m. and if I can’t play I won’t know what to do. I would miss my friends,” Sackett said.

If Morris and Sackett were disqualified, the Cougars’ depth at goalkeeper would suffer.

As insurance, BYU has added another goalkeeper to its roster this week. To serve as a back up to Dan Lear, the Cougars added the experience of Matt Bond, who previously played with the team for two seasons, Watkins said.

“To cover our bases, we need to get Dan Lear and Matt Bond some experience — just in case,” Watkins said.

According to Watkins, Lear and Bond are extremely talented and both will have to step up if needed.

The only thing the team can do now is wait.

“We need to get this taken care of quick,” Watkins said.

“A letter has been sent to the championship committee and they’ll make the decision. We hope to have an answer late this week or early next week,” he said.