Letter to the editor: Support your local women’s basketball team

201

Being a fan and faithful supporter of the BYU women’s basketball team is both exciting and disappointing. It is exciting to go to the games and watch our team tear it up on the court. They are awesome, and I have yet to witness a boring game. But it is disappointing because of the lack of support our team receives. I can show up to a game at halftime and sit in the front-row chair seats because they are neither reserved nor occupied.

However, this is not the case in Albuquerque. Our women’s basketball team played the University of New Mexico in the famous arena known as “The Pit” Saturday night. I had heard that the Lobos had gotten crowds of eight or nine thousand out for their women’s games. I thought that was pretty amazing and decided to experience The Pit myself, so some friends and I drove nine hours to Albuquerque. It just so happened that UNM chose that night of the BYU game to “pack The Pit.” Eighteen thousand fans came, and they were not quiet. We tried to be heard, but how can four voices compete with 18,000? Our amazing team came out in the first half ready to win and played like the 18,000 fans were BYU fans. In the second half, the momentum shifted to the Lobos and the crowd was the deciding factor in the Cougars’ loss.

Come out and support the team. Although I have a tendency to show up late to the games, I would love to be forced to come early to get a good seat because of the many fans who have come out to support the women’s basketball team. They have a game today, Feb. 10, against UNLV at 7 p.m. and another on Saturday, Feb. 12 against San Diego State at 3 p.m., both at the Marriott Center.

Katy B. Knight

Provo