BYU senior is leaving her mark

423

Aubrey Paul came into the 2013 tennis season with one focus — leaving everything out on the court during every match she played.

That focus has led the senior from Sandy to a team-leading 14–4 record, including eight wins in her last nine matches.

Aubrey Paul hits a return against Boise State earlier this season. Paul is a team-leading 14–4.
Aubrey Paul returns the ball against Boise State earlier this season. Paul is a team-leading 14–4. (Photo by Sarah Hill)

“I’ve been really focused on leaving everything on the court and not really worrying about the outcome,” Paul said. “I’m just going out there and giving 100 percent, and whatever happens in the end happens.”

Not only is Paul the team leader in wins, but she’s also on pace to finish the season with the best record for BYU women’s tennis in the past three seasons. Her play all season has been inspirational to her teammates.

“She’s one of the hardest workers on the team, and she’s stayed positive no matter what,” teammate and fellow senior Andie Young said. “She’s a total team player, and I wouldn’t want to graduate with anyone else.”

The journey from freshman to senior hasn’t been an easy one for Paul. She only played in three matches her freshman year and began her sophomore year as a walk-on.

“Since she was a walk-on she had to step up big time,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “She did amazing, had a great record and played great tennis.”

She finished her sophomore year with a 12–7 record — second best on the team. As a sophomore she played at the No. 6 singles position, but her junior year she played almost exclusively at the No. 5 spot. That junior season was a difficult one for not only her but for the whole Cougar squad. Paul finished with a 10–12 record.

In her final season, Paul has rebounded in an impressive fashion. She’s been nearly unbeatable at the No. 6 spot, with win streaks of four and seven matches so far.

“Going into my senior year, I knew that my time playing here was coming to a close, and I wanted to go out on a good note,” Paul said.

The key to Paul’s impressive form this season and her development from a freshman to a senior has been her hard work and willingness to learn.

“Aubrey’s a great tennis player, and she’s very coachable,” Jones-Spencer said. “She wants to learn, and she’s always looking to improve and get better.”

Jones-Spencer was expecting a great final season from Paul and isn’t surprised by what the senior has been able to achieve on the court and how she’s led her teammates.

“I knew she’d have a great season, and she’s done an amazing job,” Jones-Spencer said. “She’s helped lead this team during her senior year, which is really important.”

With the WCC conference in full swing, Paul, always a team player, hopes to just keep doing what she’s been doing all season — win.

“I want to go out and take care of business and play the tennis that I do,” Paul said. “I’m just trying to do whatever I can to help the team out.”