BYU beats Portland 11-3

471
Ari Davis
Colton Shaver hits the ball in the game against Portland. (Ari Davis)

The Cougars beat the Pilots 11-3 in game two of the series on Friday night at Miller Park.

BYU was the first to score, taking an early 2-0 lead at the end of the first inning.

The Cougars scored five additional unanswered runs in the bottom of the third to stretch the lead 7-0.

Brady Corless, who pitched the first seven and a half innings of the game, threw a no-hitter in the fourth to put BYU’s batters back on the field.

“Everything felt good,” Corless said. “I just got in my groove and when I get in my groove I throw pitches for strikes and I feel like I can compete against anybody.”

Corless finished the night with 10 strikeouts, giving him 65 strikeouts for the season so far.

“I can’t say enough about Brady or what he did. He came in and gave us a great start, just what the team needed,” said BYU coach Mike Littlewood. “It was a great night for us.”

Brock Hale hammered a ball over the head of Portland’s shortstop for two more runs and gave BYU a 9-0 lead at the end of the fourth inning.

The Pilots managed to get three runs in the top of the fifth after a double, but BYU’s Nate Favero responded with a triple and added another RBI to give BYU a 10-3 lead after four innings.

Daniel Schneemann had an RBI in the seventh inning to give the Cougars an 11-3 lead.

BYU has won the last six games against Portland and currently holds a 22-11 record against the Pilots.

BYU’s overall record after tonight is 31-15.

Game three of the BYU-Portland series will be Saturday at 1 p.m. MDT.