Readers’ Forum April 6, 2007

165

Stop Embarrassing Us

The vice president is paying us a visit to recognize and counsel new graduates of our fine university. Put politics aside for a moment, and think about what a singular honor this is for the university and the Church it represents. To you protesters: get an education, get a life and get over yourselves. Your highly publicized ignorance and ingratitude is an embarrassment to us all.

Michael Christenson

Las Vegas

Ashamed of Alma Matter

My name is 1st Lt. Merrill Walker, currently deployed in Iraq. I graduated in 2004 and entered the army the day I finished school. How surprised was I to read on Foxnews.com about the protests going on at BYU. I read about how people were protesting Vice President Cheney coming and how the school was favoring one political party over the other. How would the other side think if a Democrat vice president came to campus? Wouldn’t everyone be excited about the fact the Vice President of our nation had honored us with a visit?

As a service member fighting for my country, I was floored members of my school protested Vice President Cheney and his support for the war. I know many of you only get your news from CNN and think this war is already lost. Take it from a soldier who is out there every day; this war is not lost and we are not losing. We are making progress and nothing gets a soldier down like hearing about protests that call what we are doing illegal. Forget politics and remember there are many former BYU students fighting every day for you.

1st. Lt. Merrill W. Walker

Kirkuk, Iraq

Motive Political, Not Moral

I have a serious problem with the protest Wednesday for one main reason: the supposed justification for protesting. The students involved claimed they were protesting because of the conflict between Cheney’s policies and BYU values. Interesting. I didn’t see them protesting last time Sen. Harry Reid came to speak. That must mean his pro-gay marriage, pro-abortion stance is a more accurate representation of BYU values. Yeah, right.

In fact, it seems utterly hypocritical to me to protest Vice President Cheney’s visit when so many polarizing figures of the Democratic persuasion have spoken at BYU, figures whose values absolutely do not represent BYU or the positions of the LDS Church. Have protests ever been staged against these people or their policies? The negative answer speaks volumes about the motives of the College Democrats and others involved in yesterday’s protest.

I don’t mind protests; in fact I think they encourage important dialogue. But the BYU College Hypocrites should just come right out and state their true rationale: they don’t want Cheney here because he’s a Republican and they used the opportunity to get their 10 seconds of fame in front of the local news crews.

In short: protest all you want, but don’t do yourself the disservice of being so falsely noble about your reasons. You’re as politically motivated as the rest of us.

Zachary Smith

Provo

Common Sense 101 Exam

What do Soulforce crusaders, General Conference protesters and BYU College Democrats have in common?

A. They parade about with silly signs.

B. They rely on the media to scream their atypical views.

C. When all is said and done, they fail to make any real difference.

D. All of the above

Allen Quist

Gilbert, Ariz.

Ticketed on Sabbath

A few Sundays ago, I drove to campus to attend my church meetings and parked in an “A” lot. As I pulled into the entryway, the sign said the lot was available for weekend parking. I mean come on, how many faculty members are going to be going into work on the Sabbath? Exodus 20:8, “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.”

I parked my car and happily went off to be spiritually nourished. Upon returning to my car I found, along with five or six other students, small, green envelopes containing $50 parking tickets neatly placed under our windshield wipers. We looked up and saw an additional sign indicating our row of parking spots was reserved for the Zoology Department “anytime.”

I would like to know how many members of the Zoology Department have need of the department’s parking spots at 9 a.m. on a Sunday and, for that matter, why the university insists on the asinine behavior of employing meter maids to patrol the faculty parking lots on the Sabbath. There is not enough parking for this enormous student body, especially when we all meet for church on campus. Remember it and keep it holy. That’s what the Lord says. He does not say, “find every possible way to nickel and dime poor college students to a poor, bitter death.”

Michael J. Wilson

South Jordan

More Real News on Front

BYU is a bubble; we all know that. And The Daily Universe is supposed to be a way for us to be informed on important topics we might not know about otherwise. Must we really plaster the front page with articles about the football team three times a week? I would like to think there is more going on in the world, on this campus, than the football team learning a new defense. I support the football team and when fall semester rolls around it will be nice to read articles about them. But as for now, I’d love to read about some of the other things going on around campus, the state, the country or maybe even the world?

Kristen Moore

Sandy

RIAA are True Pirates

I find the arguments of the author of “Music Piracy Not Funny” (April 3) at least comical, if not flawed. While I am not condoning music piracy, I must argue file sharing programs are not the downfall of the music industry. The RIAA is the only group attributing the layoffs at record labels (side note: not every record label is downsizing) to the “loss of revenue” and extreme increase in music piracy. The articles I read stated the layoffs were due to EMI merging its US-based record labels (layoffs do happen just to cut costs, it’s capitalism-for example, look at Intel’s 10,000 employee lay-off).

A study by Harvard Business School professor Felix Oberholzer-Gee reasons teens and college students, who generally do not have the purchasing power to buy the music they want, are the primary users of file sharing programs. Therefore, if the users of the file sharing programs never planned to purchase the music, then the RIAA can claim copyright infringement, but not a loss in sales. He goes on to state “file sharing cannot explain the decline in music sales in the last couple of years. In addition, in the last two quarters, music sales increased while file sharing has become even more popular.” A Google search for “Napster Radiohead” will give you more information on that.

While there, research DRM (Digital Rights Management): the reason many file sharing programs are written and the reason for record labels’ murder-suicides called lawsuits.

Drew Brough

Livermore, Calif.

Soccer Better Than Baseball

This letter is to the author of “Greatest sport just getting started” (April 3) who must apply his logic elsewhere. In the article he said baseball was better than all other sports. It’s my favorite too. He said he became enamored with baseball after learning strategy, rules, techniques and statistics. Why can’t he do the same for a sport like hockey or soccer? They are two sports most consider slow and boring like baseball, but they are incredible if you get into it. And on another note baseball probably doesn’t come within a mile of the tradition of soccer around the world, especially those clubs over 130 years old.

Taylor Cline

Frazier Park, Calif.

WEB LETTERS

Lots of Replacements

I would spell “honor” like “honour” if I was from England. However, I am not. I do, however, attend BYU where the word “honor” is brought up in numerous conversations. Most people have some foggy idea of this legal document they signed called the “Honor Code,” which is a document chock full of the best advice elders can give the rising generation. The only thing that doesn’t make sense is the allowance of mustaches. However, the rest does make sense. In essence, I agree to follow the Honor Code.

This is why it perplexes me people don’t like following the Honor Code. If you are here, you choose to wake up and be here. No one twists your arm to attend. If you don’t want to be here, I have a modest proposal.

My cousin was not accepted to BYU. That’s OK-she’s been accepted elsewhere-but if you seriously don’t want to be here, e-mail me and I will see if we can’t work a deal out with admissions to allow her to be admitted. In fact, this could be applied to a campus-wide ideal-if you just hate being here, trade your spot out with someone else. Those that you have selflessly allowed to come to BYU will not be upset. Just consider it.

Tom Roderick

Joshua, Texas

Soccer Greater Than Baseball

Granted, the viewpoint on Wednesday was just that, a viewpoint, but I would like to defend a sport that too often gets overlooked by the general public for various reasons. John Gale stated, “Here are some reasons why baseball- not football, basketball, hockey and especially not soccer is the greatest sport.”

One of the reasons I often hear for soccer not being a great sport is the scoring is too low. Well, if every goal counted for six points instead of one, I don’t think that would be an issue. Another reason soccer is often mocked is because all the casual fan “sees” is passing. That may be because there isn’t a play being called in from the sidelines on a headset, no coach on the sideline barking orders, and no play being signaled from the dugout.

The more you watch the beautiful game, the more you understand this. Lastly, let it be known soccer is the only sport where the true world champion is crowned with all of the best players playing. There are no players not wanting to play because they might get injured, or because they are tired. They play because they love the sport, and may I add, love to wear the uniform of their country. Futbol will become the “beautiful” game once America stops being consumed by the idea of instant gratification.

Tyler Johansen

Redding, Calif.

A Modest Proposal

BYU blocks much content from its students to help them live a more pure life. I recently noticed BYU is now blocking myspace.com, this was like Christmas coming early. I was blissfully happy when BYU decided to force all of their students from watching the filthy material that makes up youtube.com. I could never find a video I wanted to see on that site without having to fight my way through mountains of temptation. With MySpace blocked it will save the souls of many BYU students.

However, is this enough? The world is too dangerous to govern our own selves and there are many other ways students can access materials that do not coincide with BYU standards. I propose all students be required to wear specially crafted jumpsuits that will prevent any accidental flashing of skin. Also, padlocks should be mounted on each jumpsuit to make it so only the wearer will be able to remove it. All students should be required to wear glasses, which have black shutters over the lenses. Then with attached video cameras, an appointed BYU board will be able to see what the student is seeing, and remotely open the shutters, only after the appointed staff deems the area around the student is BYU approved. By doing these things, it will protect every student from the evils of sin, whether on or off campus. We all need to unite as a student body to bubble ourselves from all temptation.

Rhett Hildebrandt

Cedar Hills, UT

Rules of the Sidewalk

Provo drivers are frequently criticized, so I want to focus on the walkers.

First, walkers should learn crosswalk etiquette. They may have the right-of-way, but that doesn’t give them the right to be rude. If a car is waiting as you cross, focus on moving quickly, rather than on your cell-phone. Furthermore, if a courteous car has been waiting while people are crossing the street, and you are still approaching, stop and let the driver go before you cross. No matter what you do, use the crosswalks, at least when cars are remotely close. It is safer for everyone and brings order to the roads.

Second, remember that inside walking space is limited. Leisurely conversations with friends are probably best done elsewhere than the cramped halls. If you decide to persist, please pay attention to your surroundings.

Countless times I have been stuck behind talking friends walking side-by-side slowly down the hallway or up the stairs, leaving me no room to pass. If you are one of these people, switch to single file to let people go by and then resume. It is not overly invasive.

The moral to this story is, be considerate of others. You’re not the only person trying to get somewhere, so remember the time you were in a hurry and had someone thwart your progression and try not to duplicate their behaviors whether walking inside or out.

Andy Westover

Hamilton, Mo.

More voices on protest

While walking in between classes Wednesday, I stopped to watch the protest that occurred in front of the JFSB. I don’t get offended easily, but when I noticed one of their posters and was given the explanation for its purpose, I couldn’t help but be offended by the absurdity of their rationale. The poster in question said, “GO F**K YOURSELF.” When I told them I thought that was inappropriate, I was told, “Dick Cheney said it.”

That seems to me to be one of the most ridiculous reasons for doing something. I was talking with one of my friends later in the day and was astounded at having to defend myself because I believed that sign should not have been made. I was repeatedly told that Dick Cheney said it, and he is the Vice President of the United States, so because of his egregious error we are now permitted to perpetuate the same sin.

I never thought my peers here would be opposed to my stance on the f-word. I am very disappointed in our maturity. Hopefully, in the future we will protest the immoral actions of others without lowering our own morals. If we want to hold our Vice President to such a high standard, than I think we ought to hold ourselves to an even higher standard and not emulate his poor actions.

Joe Beck

Littleton, Colo.

God is love. BYU is God’s. BYU is a place of love. Those who come to BYU should feel God’s love. People who come to BYU can feel God’s love through us. Dick Cheney should feel God’s love for him when he visits BYU.

I love God. I love BYU. I feel sorrow when on this campus people spread messages of hate. Jesus said those who do so are in danger of Hell fire and judgment. (Matt 5:22) It is ok to criticize Cheney’s policies, but he must be treated like a child of God and our brother. If you make hurtful signs or plan to come to his speech just so you can walk out when it starts, you have not charity. God tells us of our mistakes in a way that we can feel his love. If you want to protest, do it in a way that Brother Cheney can feel loved. If you fail to do so you are spreading hate and impeding the work of God

Kenneth Ross

Los Olivos, Calif.

Dialogue on campus? Great. Freedom of speech? Yes. The real question at hand is whether or not students are capable of maturely approaching issues of political communication. If students want to be politically open-minded, then they have taken the wrong approach.

You want to be heard? You want the chance to make a statement to the Vice President of the United States? I hardly think insulting him and “uninviting” him to our campus will make any sort of productive statement. If students truly want to have a voice and truly want to understand what is going in U.S. politics, why are they trying to slam doors on communication instead of calling for a question-answer forum? Do we distrust BYU students to approach such an opportunity with respect?

Whether or not we agree with Cheney’s personal and political actions, we as a nation have voted him into office and we must respect the office he holds. If students want their ideas to make a difference in U.S. policy, they should be more than happy to speak with the man who works directly with the president of the United States. How often does a college student get that chance? Let’s make a difference instead of just a Mormon scandal. The leaders of the future would be honored by this opportunity.

Mandy Miller

Mesa, Ariz.

Before even noticing anything unusual on campus Wednesday, I overheard two students discussing the absurdity of “the protest.” As I rounded the corner and noticed the group gathering to speak out about Dick Cheney coming to BYU, I realized this had been “the protest” these students had been referring to. I once had a good friend say, “If you want to rally a cause, you raise the flag, and you see who salutes.” That does not mean if you don’t agree, you strive to tear down the flag.

I’m not suggesting we jump behind every cause being promoted, but I do think if you are not behind something, your energy should not be wasted on criticizing it. Find your own cause. Perhaps there will be criticism and ridicule toward certain ideas and demonstrations, but they should not come from within our own student body. That is not what it means to “Enter to learn, go forth to serve.” Personally, whether I had agreed with them or not, I found it refreshing to see (quoting Buffalo Springfield) “young people speaking their minds [even though there was] so much resistance from behind.” Shouldn’t we be supporting free speech rather than trying to suffocate it? Doesn’t that just feed the apathy that already plagues the world today?

Deana Willerth

Chicago, Ill.

Wednesday I was at the protest against Vice President Cheney’s speaking at BYU commencement. As I was leaving, I noticed a group of people saying some things I didn’t agree with. For some reason, I was naive enough to think if I politely asked them to explain, they would answer in the same fashion. Not only did they never really answer my question, they fired questions at me so quickly, and in such a loud, unfriendly way I couldn’t make my own opinions heard. Then they told me I was losing the debate. I didn’t intend to make winners or losers out of either party in the first place. I told them they were acting very angry and said I was going to leave. How did one of them respond? “That’s fine, because I don’t like you.” I was completely floored. I was so ashamed we have students who would act in such an un-Christian manner that I actually cried. Christ was always civil in his discussions with individuals he disagreed with. There were two cameras recording our discussion. To which organizations did those cameras belong, and how will that argument make our school and church look if it is shown in the wrong place? Shame on all three of you from that group. To the rest of you, please remember we are all BYU students, and conduct your political discussions with civility.

Heidi Doggett

Colorado Springs, Colo.

In response to the Anti-Cheney demonstration Wednesday afternoon, I have two questions: What do these protestors think they’re going to accomplish? Why is the school allowing them to protest? All who protested openly showed their opposition to BYU’s invitation to Dick Cheney thereby going against the leaders of the church. Many forget BYU is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ, which is headed by a prophet of God, who has the authority to prevent such people as Dick Cheney from speaking here if he thought it necessary. The only thing these protestors accomplished was receiving negative media attention. BYU has now unofficially been inducted into the Progressive Universities Club. Congratulations to all you progressives out there who were feeling left out.

The argument made by the four professors sparking this campaign was Cheney does not represent and embody LDS values. Well what politician does (Besides beloved Mitt Romney)? I’m pretty sure if Gore, Reed or Clinton were to come here, the BYU Democrats wouldn’t pull out their picket signs and cause a big scene. This semester we’ve had different ambassadors speak to us who I am sure have personal opinions not in accordance with our beliefs, yet there were no protests. I hope the administration does not allow these protests to happen when Cheney actually arrives. It will be a huge embarrassment to the school and to the Church. Like it or not, each student here represents the Church.

Brad Royal

Las Vegas, Nev.