Collin Chandler looks on at Midnight Madness on Oct. 22 at the Marriott Center. (Dallin Wilks)

BYU men’s basketball gets commitment from 4-star guard Collin Chandler

The BYU men’s basketball program got its first signee since the Big 12 announcement and highest-ranked recruit of the Mark Pope era in Farmington four-star guard Collin Chandler on Wednesday.

It was the first day of the early signing period and Chandler wasted no time in making his college destination known, picking BYU over Utah, Oregon, Gonzaga, Stanford and Arizona. Chandler announced his decision via an Instagram Live with ESPN National Director of Recruiting Paul Biancardi.

“When I went to BYU it felt like that was the spot for me,” Chandler said on the live. “The culture that I got to experience while I was there, I wanted to be a part of it. The university was going to be the best thing for my life after the ball stops bouncing.”

Chandler took his official visit to BYU the weekend of Oct. 22 and had a front-row seat to Midnight Madness in the Marriott Center. He posted on Instagram about his visit, including photos of him in a BYU jersey in the Marriott Center, and received shout-outs from notable BYU alumni such as Jimmer Fredette and Elijah Bryant.

Collin Chandler posted about his visit to BYU on Instagram. (Collin Chandler/Instagram)

Chandler is a 6-foot-4 guard who can play both the point and shooting guard positions. He shot up the national rankings after strong play during the AAU summer season and is projected to be a McDonald’s All-American after his senior year at Farmington.

He is the No. 28 recruit nationally in the ESPN 100, No. 5 in the region and the No. 1 prospect in the state of Utah for the 2022 class. He is the highest BYU recruit since Eric Mika in 2013, who was also ranked No. 28 in the nation, No. 5 in the region and No. 1 in the state of Utah.

Chandler plans to serve a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints before enrolling at BYU in 2024. By the time he returns, BYU will have already been in the Big 12 for a year.

“By playing in the Big 12, it gives me a chance to play against the best,” Chandler told ESPN. “My long-term goal is to play in the NBA.”

Top Sports Stories

Draft Day: An inside look at agents and the NFL Draft

Draft Day: An inside look at agents and the NFL DraftThe NFL draft is a pivotal moment for hundreds of prospects - a launching...

Jaxson Robinson: My BYU basketball story

Jaxson Robinson: My BYU basketball storyAfter completing my freshman and sophomore years at Texas A&M and Arkansas, I found myself in the transfer portal...

Former No. 2 draft pick, Zach Wilson, traded to Denver

Former No. 2 draft pick, Zach Wilson, traded to DenverThe second overall pick of the 2021 NFL draft's time with the Jets has come...

How BYU basketball landed one of the NBA’s best assistants

How BYU basketball landed one of the NBA's best assistantsWhen BYU sought a replacement for Mark Pope, Kevin Young was not the expected successor....
- Advertisement -