Seneca Knight dunks with San Jose State in the 2019-2020 season. (Loren Orr/Getty Images)

6-foot-7 wing Seneca Knight announces transfer to BYU men’s basketball

The BYU men’s basketball team filled its final scholarship spot on Monday with the transfer of 6-foot-7 wing Seneca Knight from LSU.

Knight played at San Jose State for two years before transferring to LSU last season, where he sat out for a semester before the decision to transfer again.

The junior will have to receive a waiver from the NCAA to play this season since it is his second transfer. Knight was the leading scorer for San Jose State in the 2019-2020 season when he was named to the Mountain West Conference Third Team.

That season he averaged 17.1 ppg, 5.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists, and has a career-high of 37 points, one of three 30-point outings in his career.

Knight visited BYU on July 16 and 17, and shared some of his thoughts with 247 Sports following the weekend in Provo.

“My visit there went really well,” Knight said. “I got to catch up with some guys like Te’Jon Lucas, Alex Barcello and a couple others. It was really good I got to talk to them, catch up, ask them some questions and how everything goes over there.”

He also complimented the BYU coaching staff and the player development in the program, including Barcello’s growth into one of the most efficient shooters in the nation.

“(BYU has) a really impressive coaching staff,” Knight said. “The head coach, (Mark Pope), played in the league for nine years so he has the connections and knows what he’s talking about. They were ranked in the AP Top 25 the past two years so they are a no-brainer to hear them out and they’ve been there for the start.”

Knight gives BYU another scorer and the modern wing-type player the Cougars have been missing in recent years. His 6-foot-7 frame and ball-handling skills allow him to fill the gap between smaller guards like Barcello and big men like Gavin Baxter and Caleb Lohner.

“I’m bringing my experience, athleticism (and ability) to create my own shots but also being able to help create with others,” Knight told 247 Sports. “(I also bring) my length on the defensive end along with my work ethic. I want to go out there and win everything and get better every day.”

Draft Day: An inside look at agents and the NFL Draft

Draft Day: An inside look at agents and the NFL DraftThe NFL draft is a pivotal moment for hundreds of prospects - a launching...

Jaxson Robinson: My BYU basketball story

Jaxson Robinson: My BYU basketball storyAfter completing my freshman and sophomore years at Texas A&M and Arkansas, I found myself in the transfer portal...

Former No. 2 draft pick, Zach Wilson, traded to Denver

Former No. 2 draft pick, Zach Wilson, traded to DenverThe second overall pick of the 2021 NFL draft's time with the Jets has come...

How BYU basketball landed one of the NBA’s best assistants

How BYU basketball landed one of the NBA's best assistantsWhen BYU sought a replacement for Mark Pope, Kevin Young was not the expected successor....