BYU’s religious paradox

215

Maybe it’s because I’m an international student in my first semester here, and maybe it’s because I grew up in a Catholic school. Maybe my mom just did a good job of making Easter holy in our house, considering both the Friday before and Monday after were legitimate holidays. Either way, hearing that BYU didn’t offer any type of holiday over Easter came as a shock. I know, I understand; Mormons don’t like to dwell on the fact that Christ died — but rather, the fact that he lived. However, the LDS Church does still see his death as a crucial, important part of the plan: Christ’s suffering and crucifixion on Good Friday are critical for the Atonement to have power.

Whether it’s for the sake of the international students who are used to spending time with family and loved ones at Easter, or those who aren’t even members of the Church, I hope BYU will consider recognizing Good Friday as a holiday in the future, giving students a designated day just prior to the celebration of his resurrection, to focus on the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Even though this is done each Sunday, there is a unique and sombre feeling that comes with commemorating the symbolic day of Christ’s death. To be perfectly honest, realizing that BYU doesn’t recognize Good Friday as anything more than another school day was not only disappointing but a little sacrilegious as well. Considering it’s, you know, a religious school and everything.

Amanda Buessecker
Calgary, Alberta