Track and field head to nationals

248

The BYU track and field teams are sending athletes to compete in the NCAA Indoor Nationals in Arkansas this weekend.

TrackMeet_07
One female and four male athletes qualified for the NCAA Indoor Nationals this weekend. (Photo by Universe photographer)

The women’s team is sending No. 7 Kelsey Brown to compete in the 800 meter race, and the men have qualified four athletes. The first is pole vault star Victor Weirich — ranked No. 6 in the nation. Ryan Waite is No. 13 competing in the 800 meter race, No. 11 Jared Ward and No. 15 Tylor Thatcher are both competing in the 5,000 meter run.

“This is probably the toughest indoor qualifying group that I’ve ever seen,” BYU men’s coach Mark Robison said in a news release. “For example, there were 31 athletes who finished under four minutes in the mile. That means 15 kids had mile times under four minutes but are staying home this weekend. It’s crazy.”

The athletes representing BYU are ready to run fast, vault high and score as any points as possible for BYU’s teams overall. The four male athletes and Brown each represent their own squad, and all the points they score go towards BYU’s team as a whole. The more athletes qualified to compete at nationals means more chances to score points and a higher likelihood of placing.

“I’m really excited, I’ve never felt this fit at this point in the year,” Waite said. “I think I have a really good shot of getting some points for the team and earning an All-American spot.”

The meet begins Friday at the Randal Tyson Track Center in Fayetteville, Ark. and concludes Saturday evening.