Laulu-Pututau suffers ACL tear, out for the season

330
AP Photo/Ted S. Warren
Brigham Young tight end Moroni Laulu-Pututau is helped up after he went down with an injury during the first half of the game against Washington, Saturday, Sept. 29, in Seattle. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Moroni Laulu-Pututau will miss the remainder of the 2018 season with a torn ACL. The injury, which was initially credited as a knee sprain, was sustained during the first half of the 35-7 loss at the hands of the Washington Huskies on Sept. 29.

In an excerpt posted on Laulu-Pututau’s Twitter account, the Hyrum, Utah, native wrote about the feelings he has on the injury.

Moroni Laulu-Pututau’s full statement about his injury was posted on Twitter Sept. 30, 2018. (Twitter)

“I have torn my ACL and will be needing surgery,” he wrote. “It hurts so much more emotionally and mentally then (sic) it does physically but I won’t be returning till the 2019 season.”

In the first four games of the 2018 season, the Cougars’ starting tight end recorded one touchdown on 14 receptions. His total of 120 yards through those four games was already more than he obtained in 12 games as a freshman. He was on pace to record 390 total yards which would have been his career high as a collegiate athlete.

“Grinding for almost two years to get to play these four games made the life of football so much more meaningful and I gotta thank God for every second,” he added.

Laulu-Pututau spent his 2017 season on the sidelines as he suffered a Lisfranc fracture, an injury to the foot that involves the metatarsal bones being displaced. This is the same injury that impaired former BYU quarterback Taysom Hill in 2015.

Laulu-Pututau elected to sit on the sidelines and use his redshirt status for the 2017 season, which means that he will not be eligible to do so this year. He will return in 2019 as a senior.

“This game has changed my life and gave me opportunities I couldn’t dream of having,” Laulu-Pututau wrote. “It’s also brought me to my knees and humbled me more times than I would’ve wished.”

As it stands, the Cougars have two other tight ends that have recorded receptions during the 2018 campaign: sophomore Matt Bushman and freshman Dallin Holker. Holker, who is still seeking his first collegiate touchdown, has recorded 50 yards on seven receptions while Bushman has tallied one touchdown and 109 yards on six receptions this season.