Softball bounces back after tough loss in doubleheader

233

The Cougars split their games in a double header versus Snow College and Southern Utah University on Saturday.

The Cougars were undefeated in their fall schedule before playing Snow College, but were unable to keep this streak going as they fell to the Badgers 4-1. They bounced back later in the day by shutting out SUU 8-0.

Outfielder Lacey Millett-Hofstedt makes a diving catch during BYU's weekend doubleheader. Photo by Sam Paskins
Outfielder Lacey Millett-Hofstedt makes a diving catch during BYU’s weekend doubleheader. BYU lost to Snow College 4-1 and shut out Southern Utah 8-0. Photo by Sam Paskins

The team struggled hitting the ball versus the Badgers and was only able to score one run. In the fifth inning, Jenna Goar was able to hit a double down the left line of the field. Following Goar’s double, freshman Mercedes O’Connor hit a single in the middle of the field bringing in Goar for the run.

One bright spot of the first game was freshman pitcher Ashly Thompson, who held the Badgers to just 3 hits.

Another bright spot was a highlight reel catch made by Lacy Millett-Hofstedt in the first inning, robbing a Snow College home run.

“I just knew it was gonna be a deep fly ball,” Millett-Hofstedt said. “I didn’t know how close it was to the fence but as I was running for it, I knew it would be close so I just jumped for it and caught it right over the edge of the fence.”

Still, the Cougars failed to get their offense into gear throughout the contest. Head coach Gordon Eakin told his players that he was disappointed with the teams’ lack of effort and that they were not focused enough.

The Cougars heard Eakin’s message loud and clear as the team went out and dominated SUU 8-0.

In the second, Lauren Bell scored on a fielder’s choice after CocoTauali’i hit a single down the middle of the field giving the Cougars the 1-0 lead.

While in the third, Katie Manuma hit a double which brought in 2 more runs for the Cougars and put them up 4-0. Then later in the inning Manuma scored after Goar singled up the left giving them a 5-0 lead.

Senior pitcher Tori Almond was dominate on the mound as she pitched a one hitter and shut down the Thunderbird offense.

“The first game was definitely tough. I kinda took it upon myself to get the momentum back in our favor and bounce back from that.” said Almond.

The team was able to score 3 more runs during the fourth inning of the game and played much better than the first game.

“We gave a much better effort in the second game.” said Eakin “We had a little discussion about giving effort and having better focus in between games. When you put up eight runs in four innings against a Division I team, that’s good effort. I liked the way they responded to the lessons they learned in the first game.”

The team will finish up its fall schedule as they travel to St. George for a double header against Dixie State on Oct. 26.