Another disappointing home loss for BYU soccer


The BYU men’s soccer team gave up two goals in the second half to blow a 1–0 lead in a 2–1 loss to Real Colorado last Saturday.

The Cougars started strong, taking a 1–0 lead early in the first half when forward Jace Green broke away from the defenders and had a one-on-one chance against the Colorado keeper. Green was able to put it high in the top-right corner past the diving keeper. It was BYU’s first unassisted goal of the season.

The Cougars, however, let the lead slip through their fingers, a trend that seems to be increasing.

“We need to finish,” coach Chad Sackett said. “It’s a lack of finishing right now, it’s just putting it in the back of the net.”

BYU had a great chance early in the eighth minute when forward Jonathon Junca was tripped up in the Colorado box, resulting in a penalty kick. Senior Doug Clark took the kick but was unable to put it past the Foxes’ keeper. The ball bounced around in the box for a few seconds before it was cleared out by a Colorado defender.

“We missed a PK, but we were able to score again and go up 1–0.” Sackett said. “We just had some open nets that we need to put away, that’s what is tough about it.”

The Cougars came out strong and dominated the first half both in shots taken and time of possession. In the 30th minute, BYU had back-to-back opportunities where a through ball to Green resulted in one touch crossed to Junca, whose header and diving shot both went wide.

“This was the first time in a while that we felt momentum,” Sackett said, “Like it’s a Saturday morning game and you’ve got the oranges at halftime.”

The Cougars’ second half was full of mistakes that led to goals for the Foxes. The first came in the 64th minute off a careless throw-in by BYU, and the second was in the 76th minute after a blown coverage in the box.

The Cougars will look to rebound and pick up their first home win of the season against the SC Seahorses on Friday, June 14, at 7:30 p.m. on South Field.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email