BYU host second WNIT game against SDSU

226

The postseason continues for the BYU women’s basketball team as they host San Diego State in the WNIT second round game on Saturday.

This game will be a reunion of sorts as the Cougars (22–10) will face their former Mountain West Conference foe, the Aztecs (27–6), in the Marriott Center. BYU is hoping to build off of the great play on Wednesday’s game from junior Jennifer Hamson and senior Haley Steed.

Ashley Garfield dribbles the ball up to the hoop in Thursday's game against Idaho State. (Photo by Elliott Miller)
Ashley Garfield dribbles the ball up to the hoop in Thursday’s game against Idaho State. (Photo by Elliott Miller)

“Haley lets the game come to her, and I thought Jen (Hamson) did that too (on Wednesday),” BYU coach Jeff Judkins said. “I think that’s an improvement. When you have two of your best players letting the game come to them, it makes it easier for me as a coach.”

Steed and Hamson led the team to victory on Wednesday against Idaho State. Steed scored 20 points while dishing out nine assists and grabbing seven rebounds. Hamson scored a career high 25 points and had 12 rebounds and five blocks.

SDSU is fresh off of winning the MWC regular season crown. The Aztecs had a 15–1 record in MWC play. BYU leads the series with SDSU 28–13, 16–3 at home. This season, the Cougars have lost only one game in the Marriott Center.

“We’re excited to be playing and we’re not taking it lightly,” Steed said. “We do want to win the tournament. For me this is my last hurrah. I want to play as many games as possible.”

If the Cougars won this game, they would advance to the third round of the WNIT. BYU and SDSU tip-off at 2 p.m. MST in the Marriott Center. Students with All-Sports Passes get in for free and general admission is $6. The game will be shown live on BYUtv.