Men few, yet important in nursing program

96

By Lisa Thompson

Men in BYU”s nursing program enjoy the many opportunities and advantages that arise from entering a field mainly comprised of women.

According to the Nursing Advisement Center, of the 253 students enrolled in BYU”s nursing program, 13 are men. Although the overwhelming majority of students entering the program are women, men do not receive special treatment when applying and have the same chance of being accepted into the program as women.

“I think there is still a stigma that nursing is a female major because some people think it”s beneath them to do the work that we do,” said Dustin Griner, a senior from Sandy majoring in nursing. “That”s ridiculous because with health care professionals it doesn”t matter if you”re male or female, you”ll always be needed.”

Gretchen Cornell, an associate professor in the College of Nursing, said she thinks the title “nurse” deters men from the profession because in American society it is less acceptable for men to be caregivers than it is in other cultures.

“I think that nursing as a whole would be an even stronger profession if more men were in it,” she said.

The lack of men in BYU”s College of Nursing gives the men in the program the advantage of standing out.

“As a male, the teachers know your name immediately, and you seem to get a little more attention,” said Ryan Kissell, a senior from Wenatchee, Wash., majoring in nursing.

Julie Starr, a senior from Pleasant Grove majoring in nursing, said she admires men who enter the nursing program because they are outnumbered.

“A lot of the girls in the nursing program just adore the guys in it and know who they are,” she said.

Because men are a minority in the nursing profession, those entering the field have the benefit of appealing to programs looking to vary their staff.

“I definitely think it is an advantage for me in this profession because I think in any kind of career when you mix ideas, both male and female, you get a better idea of the way you should be doing things,” Griner said. “And I think with the diversification going on in different hospitals it”s a huge advantage for me to be able to get a job in the future.”

Although men in BYU”s nursing program are outnumbered, they are not intimidated.

“I love the nursing program,” Kissell said. “It”s a challenge. You learn lots of new things … and it”s just a fun atmosphere.”

In light of the stigma associated with men in the nursing field, Griner said he has never felt discouraged about his choice.

“I”m proud to say I”m a nursing major, and I”ve never had anyone demean it,” Griner said. “I”ve never had anyone say that it”s something I shouldn”t be doing. I”ve only had positive experiences with it, and I don”t think it affects me socially when I say I”m a nursing major. I think nowadays no one thinks much of it.”