How to fund your study abroad


Do you want to go on a BYU study abroad but are stumped on how to come up with the money to pay for it? Well, don’t give up! BYU and the Kennedy Center offer incredible resources to help students finance their foreign experiences. Make sure to apply for scholarships as soon as possible and watch out for deadlines. Start by checking out the Kennedy Center’s financial aid site and the scholarship site.

Here are a couple of other fast facts for financial aid and scholarships offered by the Kennedy Center:

  • BYU academic tuition scholarships may be applied to your program costs. 
  • Many off-campus scholarships also may be applied to your program expenses.
  • Pell Grants, Stafford, PLUS loans, and other federal financial aid may generally be applied toward program costs. 
  • The International Study Program office offers program discounts of up to $1,000 to undergraduate students participating in its programs. 
  • Each college on campus offers experiential learning funds that may be applied to education abroad programs.  
  • The Gilman and Freeman-ASIA scholarships offer up to $5,000 for students who have Pell Grants.
  • If you have a 3.75 GPA or above, you may apply for the Phi Kappa Phi study abroad scholarship to receive $1,000 toward your program costs.
  • Talk to your program director for a chance to be nominated for the Kennedy Center Global Opportunity Scholarship, which may fund up to $5,000 for your first academic experience abroad. 

Also, you can drop by 237 HRCB or call (801) 422-3377 to set up an appointment for information on how to apply for the above scholarships.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email