BYU Tap Club helps students enjoy art of dancing

363

Every Tuesday night at 7 p.m. the BYU Tap Club meets in the Richards Building to enjoy music and movement. Faculty and students can come together and share their love of tap dancing with other enthusiasts.

“It’s my first year at the Tap Club. But I know the president, Topher, cause we do a tap company in Alpine together, and it’s been super fun. He really challenges us, so I love it,” club member Jane Gillrie said.

“I took like three classes in high school so not a lot and then I started taking it at BYU a year ago,” club member Spencer Bickel said.

Participants of all skill levels are welcome to come together and simply enjoy the art of dancing. The Tap Club provides a place to discuss the history of the art form and to strengthen technique.

“it’s so fun and we do all levels. So there’s people who this is their first year tap dancing and they’ve learned so much already, so I definitely recommend it for whoever,” Gillrie said.

The Tap Club offers a chance for students to exercise, meet new people and relieve stress.

“I’ve been doing it for so long so it’s a great, like, workout,” Gillrie said. “It’s been like a great stress reliever just being able to dance out my thoughts and feelings.”

As they prepare their annual performance of The Nutcracker, the club president and choreographer Topher Hill has to adjust his approach.

“It’s sometimes challenging to bring things to Tap Club that are going to push everybody in the group,” Hill said.

The camaraderie is clear as students see their peers improve in their own ways.

“That has been really kind of a challenge this year as president of tap club but it’s also been really fun,” Hill said.

Whatever your skill, it’s always a thrill at the BYU Tap Club. For more information about club participation and performances, visit their Instagram @byutapclub.