Nathan Herbert, an attendee, said, “I think we owe him a lot of thanks for a lot of long hard years.”

Last night, Republicans honored Senator Orrin Hatch for his decades of public service. Hatch is the longest-serving Republican Senator in the history of the United State. He was elected to office in 1976 and served for an unprecedented 7 terms.

At 83 years old, after serving 42 years, Senator Orrin Hatch announced his decision to retire earlier this year.

On a video on Twitter, posted by his office, he said, “I’ve always been a fighter. I was an amateur boxer in my youth, and I’ve brought that fighting spirit with me to Washington. But every good fighter knows when to hang up the gloves.”

The event started with a video commemorating his successes and achievements in office. People applauded and showed their love and support for a Senator who fought for them and their ideals.

James Burchett said, “I’m a big fan of him. I’m from Texas myself, but I’ve heard great things about him. I actually just met him a couple of minutes ago; shook hands with him, he’s a very nice guy, very sincere. I like him.”

Krista Simonsen said, “We love Senator Hatch. He has been a legacy for this state, being senior Senator. We do want to congratulate Senator Hatch for his 42 years.”

People were in high spirits as the evening went on. The room was brimming with the thought of victory in the polls as eyes were constantly checking the TV screens.

Olivia Horlacher said, “I’ve been keeping an eye on the screen. Here in Utah they’re looking promising, they’re looking good. Across the country it’s still anybody’s game.”

Senator Orrin Hatch did not stay long but took the time to talk and take pictures with people at the event.