Opinion Outpost Sept. 13

185

Underaged & undecided voters

As the presidential campaign moves into its final stretch, about 7% of voters (depending on which poll you read) say they’re still undecided between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump — more than enough to swing the election either way.

After all the noise and drama of the last few months, what are these people waiting for?

They don’t much like either of the candidates. They’re struggling to decide which is the lesser of two evils. And they’re not finding it an easy choice.”

As the polls narrow, there’s still room for Trump to win — and room, as well, for Clinton to lose.

Doyle McManus
Los Angeles Times

Some have ridiculed me for supporting various candidates across the ideological spectrum. In a condescending blog post last December, conservative radio host Erick Erickson accused me of desperately seeking attention, questioned my intellectual capacity and instructed me to “shut up, and go live life.” This reaction makes one thing clear: many people in the “old guard” do not have the slightest understanding of the political philosophies of my generation.

I believe that the future of America is post-party politics. I hope that in 10 to 20 years, the near constant issue of partisanship will be a distant memory.

Many people in my generation support the person—regardless of political party—who they believe has the capacity and ability to lead. The future and stability of America are far more important than ego and party.

CJ Pearson
(14 years old), Time 

Empathy for both sides

I consider myself a “classical liberal” — a.k.a. “constitutional conservative” — and I believe the greatness of our country lies in our founders’ creation of a system that allows and encourages all voices to be heard. The only way for our society to work is for each of us to respect the views of others, and even try to understand and empathize with one another. I have always tried to work toward this goal, even though I have often been guilty of conflating the individual with the whole.

Glenn Beck
The New York Times

Presidential debates

If the moderators of the coming debates do not figure out a better way to get the candidates to speak accurately about their records and policies … then they will have done the country a grave disservice.

There will be many issues to explore at the three presidential debates. For the sake of the nation, the moderators need to be fully prepared to challenge the candidates, so voters can have a clear picture of how they will lead.

The Editorial Board
The New York Times

Presidential debates should be an opportunity for the American people to decide the direction of our nation. But since 1987, everything about the debates has been predetermined by the party bosses who run Washington.

Consider that 76% of Americans want the presidential debates to include Gary Johnson and me. Yet the phony Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) is trying to rob voters of the open debates they want.

Jill Stein
The Guardian

… The Presidential Debate Commission named NBC’s Lester Holt, ABC’s Martha Raddatz, CNN’s Anderson Cooper and Fox News Channel’s Chris Wallace as the moderators for the three debates. Cooper and Raddatz will work together on their presidential debate.

As hot as debates about the media have gotten, there is broad agreement these are solid choices. All have moderated debates. None allows his or her personality to be the focus of a debate. All know how to ask tough follow-ups to prevent candidates from refusing to answer, a skill that will be in high demand in a Clinton-Trump faceoff. (A moderator’s most important job is to tell a candidate, “But you didn’t answer the question. Let me ask it again.”)

Jennifer Rubin
Columbia Daily Tribune

Traditionally, presidential debate moderators have been white men over 40. In 2012, all four moderators … were white people over 55. It was the first time in 20 years a woman had been chosen to moderate.

This isn’t what America looks like. Issues around race, gender, immigration, discrimination and justice are not just talking points — they’re a matter of life or death for many. We need moderators who better reflect this reality.

… On Nov. 8, the United States will be forever changed. But before we get there, we owe it to this country to make changes in how the candidates are questioned. The people moderating the debates ought to reflect those of us who will inherit America.

Alexis Madrigal
& Dodai Stewart
The Washington Post