Nike creates McFly’s shoes

741
Self-lacing shoes will be released sometime this year. Some students are loyal to anything Nike produces, while others dislike this overall look. (@designed2enable/Twitter)

The Marty McFly dream is progressing with the recent release of the Lexus hoverboard. And it’s almost complete with the new Nike MAG 2015 self-lacing shoes.

The history of the shoes is extensive. Tinker Hatfield, a Nike designer, originally created the shoe for Michael J. Fox’s character Marty McFly in “Back to the Future: Part II.” Hatfield redesigned the shoe in 2011, releasing 1,500 replicas in support of the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research.

Celebrities such as Kid Cudi and Tinie Tempah and athletes Brian Wilson and A.J. Green were seen sporting the 2011 editions, and the small supply sold out almost instantly. The release was a huge success, raising $6 million in proceeds and $11.2 million from investors.

Michael J. Fox explains Nike's self-lacing shoes on the Late Show with David Letterman. Fox said 1,500 pairs of the shoes were auctioned on eBay, with donations matched for Parkinson's disease research. (YouTube).
Michael J. Fox explains Nike’s self-lacing shoes on the Late Show with David Letterman. Fox said 1,500 pairs of the shoes were auctioned on eBay, with donations matched for Parkinson’s disease research. (YouTube).

Earlier this year, Hatfield confirmed at an Agenda Emerge conference that the Nike team was planning the release of an upgraded version of the 2011 Nike MAG. “Are we going to see power laces in 2015?” Hatfield said. “To that, I say yes.”

But nothing has happened just yet. So far, only celebrities are rumored to have their hands on the shoes, leaving the public to wonder when these shoes will really be on shelves.

In a video released by Toyota, Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox sit in a diner, discussing Back to the Future and 2015 predictions. At one point Lloyd mentions self-tying sneakers, to which Fox says, “I’m waiting for those.”

The new footwear will feature “power laces.” According to Nike’s patent, this technology entails motorized rollers in the shoe’s sole sensing weight and tightening the laces when someone steps into the shoes.

Some “Back to the Future: Part II” fans may be eager to get their feet in these kicks, but not all BYU students are psyched about how they look.

(@kelpietempest/Twitter)

“I’m a Nike junkie,” said Ben Ferry, a BYU student studying business management. “I can’t turn down a good deal.”

Ferry said he once bought five pairs of Nikes in one week. But when shown the Nike MAGs, he wasn’t a fan. “My first reaction? They’re ugly … I think the concept is cool, but I don’t like the shoe. I pay a lot for image, but not for those.”

Spencer Blake, a business strategy major, has similar thoughts to Ferry’s.”I don’t like them,” Blake said. “I only wear stuff I like the look of. I don’t care about ‘Back to the Future,’ and there’s no style or association to greatness that would make me want to buy them.”

Ryan Wade, a finance major at BYU, said he loves Nike so much that he is instantly loyal to anything it does. “I know (in an ad) subconsciously they are trying to win you over, and I openly accept,” Wade said. “There is greatness behind Nike. I aspire to be great, to be a ‘bawss’ on the street — with Nike, I can.”

But when Wade first saw the Nike MAGs, he wasn’t impressed. However, after hearing the history of the shoe, Wade admitted there was more of an appeal.

“It’s like when the hottest girl or the coolest guy wears something, I like it,” Wade said. “It’s all about perception.”

Although the concept has been highly anticipated, it’s hard to say if this new design will be seen taking over the streets. Sorry, “Back to the Future: Part II.” You might not have gotten 2015 totally right.

[youtube=https://youtu.be/7wrw19K_g_M&h=385&w=640]