Work hard, play hard

178

In college, especially at the university level, taking a vacation seems near impossible to most students. The balance of work and play that students are used to from their younger years seems to turn into an uneven lifestyle of hard work in hopes to be able to get by now and have a successful future later.

With demanding work schedules and classes, opportunities to get away come few and far between for many university students.

IMG_1009 by .
Cooper Island, BVI

Missing multiple days of class and homework assignments can cause a quick drop in grades, especially if the student misses a major test or assignment.

Tanner Weekes, 23, a business major from Provo, was able to go to Hawaii for two weeks while school was in session.

“When I got home from my trip I was really up front while talking to my teachers about my absence,” Weekes said. “I didn’t lie to them or try to make excuses, I just told them I went on a vacation and then proved that I was willing to work hard to make up the work I missed, and because I was honest, they were willing to work with me.”

Enjoying life through experiences is what makes Tanner happy. He sees the value in hard work but also knows experiencing things in life and having fun is important.

“I enjoy experiencing life and learning from my experiences,” Weekes said. “School comes second to valuable family time or life experiences for me.”

Going on vacations would be near impossible without the money provided through hard work and an education. Tyler Welker, 23, an English major, shares the popular philosophy that hard work pays off and the harder you work the harder you can play.

“I believe that work comes first always, then we can play,” Welker said. “I even made the decision that work comes before school for me because I have never seen any financial benefit from going to school when I could be working and making money.”

Some students go on vacations for fun, while others have to miss school because of weddings, honeymoons, funerals and other family emergencies. Joshua Bullock, 26, an exercise science major from Arizona, missed a week of school last year for his honeymoon.

“Although missing a week of school required me to prepare ahead of time and turn in some assignments late, it was definitely worth it,” Bullock said. “Building an eternal relationship with my wife is, and always will be, far more important to me than school.”

Bullock and many other students enjoy traveling and building relationships with people they care about. Bullock said he lives by the motto “Work hard, have fun, make memories.”

“Eternal salvation is not dependent on my GPA or how soon I graduate,” Bullock said. “I am going to enjoy what’s most important in life while still making worthwhile pursuits in my career and education.”