Dee Brown Faces Uncertain Future

82

By Joshua Austin

With Utah”s latest acquisitions of former Sacramento Kings point guard Ronnie Price and six-season NBA vet Jason Hart, free agent Dee Brown is uncertain about his future with the Jazz.

The Jazz recently acquired and signed Hart to a multi-year contract and agreed to terms with UVSC alumnus Price, pending a physical. It appears the Jazz hope to place them in the Nos . 2 and 3 point guard positions, making the situation difficult for Brown. With the new additions at the point, the Jazz will most likely rescind the qualifying offer previously made to Brown, sending him on his way.

“Now with this qualifying offer on the table along with two point guards signed I have to look around the league and find a team that is interested in me,” Brown said on his Web site. “My agent will definitely see what”s out there for me, now that Utah made it clear that they want to move in a different direction.”

Brown occupied the No. 3 point guard position for the Jazz in his rookie season last year, appearing in 49 games, averaging 1.7 assists and 1.9 points per game. Despite the fact the Jazz didn”t guarantee him a contract after the season, Brown played with the Jazz”s summer league team. He hoped his performance there would prove his value, but unfortunately for him, the Jazz have looked elsewhere.

“I feel I played really well in summer league,” Brown said. “But the Jazz didn”t guarantee me a contract, so I didn”t sign the deal.”

Brown stated on his Web site he has loved being with Utah, and had hoped to continue his career here, but he realizes that it”s a business and deals will be done.

“I felt like Utah was the perfect fit for me,” Brown said. “It”s a city that has great fans, great tradition, and teammates and fans that love me and I love them back. But again it”s a business.”

Brown continued to discuss the situation on his Web site, lamenting the position he is now in.

“All Utah had to do was guarantee me and I was definitely staying,” he said. “I was so down when I thought about last year”s Jazz team not being back together. We had great chemistry, everyone got along, we won, and most importantly we won together. But right now I”m still waiting and praying for a great situation.”