Honor code influence helps and hampers student housing

276

By Rebecca Shippen

It”s 11:45 p.m. at the dorms, while resident assistants walk the halls to ensure their freshmen aren”t coupled with the opposite sex.

At some apartment complexes roommates remind each other that they have 15 minutes to say goodbye to their significant other; while at other places, students aren”t even aware of the time and some don”t even care. All tenants, however, do have one thing in common-they all signed the Honor Code, and they all live in BYU approved housing. The question may be whether or not they adhere.

In order to become BYU approved housing, a landlord or complex management must support and comply with BYU living standards.

Although the initial paperwork and agreement reflect compliance, no one knows the extent to which the code is enforced.

“I”ve lived in two major complexes where both managements supported and enforced it [the Honor Code], said Trevor Winn, a senior from California. “In my current housing (a condo) there is less connection to the office or office people. There is no ”big brother” watching. I”m sure they support it [the Honor Code] otherwise it wouldn”t be BYU housing. As far as enforcing-I don”t know.”

Some apartment complexes, such as Liberty Square, have staff walk the grounds at night to enforce the rules.

Clearly, it depends on the management.

“It [the Honor Code] was enforced to a point. If management was around they would, but most people were good about it,” said Eric Battles, a former Raintree Apartment”s tenant.

Landlords and management find it a necessity to have their property BYU approved.

“It is extremely important to the owners to have a BYU approved complex,” said Nathan Walch, secretary for the Stonebridge Home Owners Association. “It is a prime location for students, and almost every tenant I know of is an enrolled student. I am happy these tenants have been willing to obey the rules they each agreed to because it makes life more pleasant for all of us.”

Walch also said that it is essentially up to the owners to enforce the Honor Code.

“It is imperative for them, not only to enforce the rules the students must live, but also to provide the resources and living environment stipulated by BYU housing,” Walch said. “This is good for the students because they can basically be guaranteed a certain standard of living.”

Other landlords and students find the Honor Code a draw back to potential tenants that are not BYU students.

“It”s not that I don”t agree with the standards [of BYU approved housing] because I do, I live them,” said Jacob Newell, a UVSC student from Orem. “But if I”m going to pay rent, take care of a place and live on my own, then I”m going to live the way I want to.”

Some landlords may feel that if they do not become BYU approved, then they may lose business. But the further away from campus the less likely this is.

“Since we are so close to our [UVSC] campus, UVSC students look for housing that is not BYU approved,” said Courtney Lynn assistant manager of the Village on the Parkway in Orem. “They [students] are attracted to the more social environment with boys and girls apartments that are closer together. We were full for the summer and all of last year. We have tons of people signed up for the fall.”

Regardless of whether landlords are sticklers in Honor Code enforcement or lax, ignoring what goes on, students themselves must choose.

Overall, the Honor Code aspect of housing is exactly that-an honor code. It is up to each individual to comply with it.

Winn feels he has a hand in implementing the Honor Code.

“I have two roommates that are a little wild so most of the Honor Code enforcing is done by me.”