Archive (2004-2005)

Web site may provide break for students

Amidst the hustles of student life, it is necessary to take small and much needed breaks from schoolwork. These breaks are found in a variety of forms, one of which includes favorite Internet sites.

Some sites prove especially popular among college students. At BYU, many students enjoy catching up on sports.

'When I'm sitting around, not wanting to do homework, I go to ESPN.com,' said Andy Ashby, a senior majoring in exercise science.

Another Web site, bored.com, offers a variety of options to entertain students.

Here, one can do everything from send virtual flowers to friends to figure out what words phone numbers spell.

If looking for something a little more ordinary, links to free online video games and music videos are also available.

A feature many enjoy is the 'free stuff' link. After filling out a questionnaire, one can choose a variety of products and coupons to be sent to them absolutely free. It might not be quite as exciting as Christmas morning, but can definitely serve as a quick pick-me-up.

Those familiar with the names Marzipan, Strong Bad and Pom Pom are probably familiar with the Web site homestarrunner.com.

'I think it's hilarious,' said Bryce Nielson, a freshman majoring in biology.

The popularity of this Web site is seen all over BYU campus in the form of hats, tee shirts and hoodies worn by students.

At homestarrunner.com you can watch cartoons and play games like 'fortune cookies,' where after clicking on a cookie a fortune pops out.

Professor Brent Feland of the Department of Exercise Science shows clips from homestarrunner.com in his classes.

'It's my type of humor,' Feland said. 'To break up the monotony of lectures I'll throw one of those clips in.'

Those looking for a laugh might want to check out stupidvideos.com.

'Whenever I have low self-esteem, I go to stupidvideos.com and it builds me up,' said Johnny Walker, a senior, majoring in biology.

Here, one can choose from a wide variety of humorous events caught on tape.

The Web site boasts nearly 800 videos. People getting kicked by horses, crashes on skateboards, human cannon balls and a referee getting hit in the head with a soccer ball are just a few examples of what to expect.