Suicide Prevention Month raises awareness for resources, help

238
(Kelsey Mae Nield)

September is National Suicide Prevention Month in the United States. However, we can always find ways to prevent suicide and help those who are struggling.

Klint Hobbs is an associate director at BYU’s Counseling and Psychological Services. He has been working on suicide prevention for over 10 years. Hobbs says suicide is the most preventable kind of death.

“My biggest piece of advice for students here at BYU would be just to ask. If you see someone really struggling, even if you don’t think it has anything to do with suicide, ask about it,” he said.

BYU students struggling with suicidal thoughts can find help in many campus, online and hotline resources. But for student Garret Gibbons, the most important resource was the people around him.

“I kind of hinted about taking my own life because it was all becoming too much to bear the social pressures, the family pressures, the academic pressure. All of this just felt like it was boiling over,” Gibbons said.

Gibbons credits the efforts of a friend who was willing to make sure he had the support and help he needed. He said that friend saved his life.

“And had I succeeded, I would have missed out on so many different opportunities to change my own life and a lot of people I have met since then,” he said.

Suicide is something everyone can help to prevent. If you see someone struggling, don’t be afraid to reach out.

If you are struggling with suicidal thoughts or other mental health concerns, please reach out to a counselor or take advantage of the many resources available here on campus. There are several available resources at BYU, in the state of Utah and also nationally.