BYU women’s basketball invited to NCAA tournament

89
The BYU women’s basketball team poses in front of the NCAA logo in San Antonio. The Cougars earned an 11 seed and are preparing to take on Rutgers in the first round. (BYU Women’s Basketball)

https://www.facebook.com/BYUNewsline/posts/1866112966881999

The BYU women’s locker room came alive with energy after the announcement of their invite to the NCAA tournament.

After falling to Gonzaga and unsure about their tournament chances, a number 11 seed ranking made the BYU players ecstatic.

Senior Shaylee Gonzales said she’s thrilled and ready to lead her team to more postseason wins.

“We were 50/50 and when we saw BYU on the TV, we just all went crazy,” Gonzales said. “My heart is still racing right now, I can’t believe it. But I just feel so much joy and happiness and I knew that my team deserved it. And I’m just super excited to get there and show everyone what we’re made of.”

Head Coach Jeff Judkins is also excited to get back into the national tournament and compete against other top teams.

“Our team’s very very excited,” Judkins said. “This was a lot of stress. We’re really really excited. Rutgers is a really good team, very well coached, got one of the most respected, legend coaches. It’ll be great for us. It’ll be different, this year we’ll be in a bubble. Maybe this’ll give us some good luck and we can cause some damage.”

The Cougars have earned their chance to dance and are ready to fight for the NCAA championship title. The lady Cougs flew to Texas to prepare for their first game against 6th seed Rutgers on Monday.