Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Tanner Mangum speaks out with poetry in light of George Floyd tragedy

The tragic death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on Monday sent shockwaves through American society, with protests igniting and voices raised in every part of the country. Former BYU star quarterback Tanner Mangum has been vocal over social media, and late Thursday evening posted a poem he wrote on the subject to his Instagram story.

“How can I not speak up?” writes Mangum. “Why would I stand down? Silence is consent. Ignorance is no longer an excuse. Excuses must turn to acknowledgment. I am a white man. I recognize my bias. I see my privilege.”

Mangum’s words echo a similar sentiment expressed by several notable white athletes and public figures in recent days. Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz took to Twitter on Thursday to offer up his own thoughts on the subject of racism and white privilege.

“I’ve spent a large part of my life surrounded by people of similar color, so I’m never gonna act like I know what the black community goes through,” Wentz said. “I’ll never know the feeling of having to worry about my kids going outside because of their skin color. However, I do know that we are all equal at the foot of the cross and Jesus taught us to value others’ lives like they were our own — regardless of skin tone.”

Wentz mentioned the “institutional racism” that the black community has to endure on a daily basis, and Mangum also admitted to the “reality of racism” and the work that must be done to build “bridges of compassion” and tear down “walls of distrust.”

Mangum concluded his poem with a message to his friends in the black community and a commitment to honor their stories and experiences. The final lines read:

I see you, friends of color
suffering endless persecution
facing constant prejudice
fighting against a rigged system

systems stacked against you
inherently stacks us against each other
liberty and justice for some
in the end is equality for none

Mangum finished his career with the Cougars in 2018 and now works in the communications department for the Jordan shoe brand.

Top Sports Stories

Cougars in the Pros: Fred Warner intercepts Giants QB

The defensive stars led the way for BYU alumni in the pros this week, with both Fred Warner and Kyle Van Noy forcing turnovers in NFL Week 3.

Several Cougars have career nights in 48-7 win over Troy

The BYU Cougars defeated Troy by a final score of 48-7 in their home opener on Saturday, with several BYU players setting new career highs.

Whitney Bower ready to lead Cougars after valuable freshman experience

BYU Women's Volleyball received a big addition to the team last year in Whitney Bower, and will continue to look to the setter for the challenges ahead.

Father of BYU Football player shares cautionary COVID tale of son’s sickness

Marty Hoge, father of BYU offensive lineman Tristen Hoge, shared his son's experience with COVID-19 and pneumonia through Twitter on Wednesday, urging people to take virus precautions seriously.
- Advertisement -