Have you ever wondered what a German Christmas market is like? Well, you don’t have to book a flight all the way to Germany to find out.

Several vendors and entertainers lined up at Christkindlmarkt to usher in the Christmas spirit.

Germany is well known for traditional Christmas markets, so why not get a feel for them right here in Utah?

Allyson Chard, Founder and Chair of Christkindlmarkt, said, “It’s a little crazy when you think about it, but my family and I—we used to live in Germany a few years ago—and when I moved back to Utah, I thought a German market would be… I mean the people here would really love that.”  

Christkindlmarkt is held at This is the Place Heritage Park and has been a running event for the last seven years. The market is filled with over 90 booths and vendors can sell handcrafted gifts and unique items.

Truman Ballard, one of the many vendors, shared, “It’s kind of just part of the fun festivities, but also a great cause and a great opportunity to sell at the Christkindlmarkt.”

The whole event is put on by a nonprofit organization, and admission is completely free for thousands of guests.

“This volunteer committee puts on this event every single year,” Chard remarked.

Young or old, Christkindlmarkt is a place for all ages.

Simone Gardiner, one of the younger market guests, shared her favorite part of the event, “There’s this great news… I mean music person!”

Yes, there is ongoing entertainment all day long. From bells and yodeling, to children’s choirs, the stage is never empty. Guests can also watch a daily parade that includes Saint Nicholas.

While the authentic German food, famous Heidelberg hot chocolate, and activities are main attractions, the goal of Christkindlmarkt is to encourage service and community, especially at Christmas time.