BYU falls to Illinois State in overtime


BYU men’s basketball fell 89-92 to Illinois State in overtime at the Redbird Arena on Nov. 28.

The two teams played a back-and-forth game to start things off. Each point was matched by the other team until the Cougars finally pulled ahead to take a 40-31 lead by half.

BYU was led by senior forward Yoeli Childs. Childs earned his sixth double-double of the season and 26th in his career with 27 points and 16 rebounds.

Childs achieved a new personal accolade as he reached six assists in a single game for the first time in his career. In addition, he tied his career high of three 3-pointers in a game. As a team, BYU shot 6-28 from three, giving them a 21.4 percentage to Illinois State’s 13-30 and 43.3 percent.

“I’m proud of our effort tonight,” Childs said. “That’s why it hurts so bad. Every single player was giving it their all and playing as hard as they could.”

Freshman forward, Gavin Baxter, came out and made a career-high eight points off the bench. The Cougars bench would contribute 15 of the teams 92 points.

Junior guard TJ Haws only needed 10 points this game to reach 1,000 points in his career at BYU. As one of the leading scorers of the night with 22 points, Haws became the 52nd Cougar to reach this milestone.

BYU played hard but struggled to get the ball into the bucket. The Cougars only made 25 of 36 free throws, missing out on 11 points that could have given them the win.

After the half, the Redbirds challenged the Cougars defense. The Redbirds made a comeback with a 9-1 run. Within a minute left of the game, BYU fouled and the Redbirds’ made the two free throws that tied up the game at 88 points.

Going into overtime, BYU couldn’t make shots while Illinois State drained a couple of 3-pointers. Haws tried to bring BYU back into play by making three free throws that put them within one point of Illinois, 85-84.

BYU would eventually succumb to the Redbirds offense and take the loss after missing two shots in the last 30 seconds of the game with an ending score of 92-89.

“It just comes down to hitting shots,” Childs said. “We did the little things to fight back but we just missed shots.”

The Cougars will now travel to northern Utah to play against Weber State on Dec. 1 at 7 p.m.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email