The Faculty Office Building on West Campus Drive will be demolished and replaced with a new West View Building, the university announced Nov. 15.
The FOB, built in 1955 as two buildings, will be demolished by early 2019, and the West View Building is expected to be completed by Spring 2020.
When completed, the West View Building will house the Department of Economics, the Department of Statistics and the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship.
The West View Building is the latest in a series of new buildings constructed on the BYU campus.
The new Engineering Building was completed on Sept. 4 of this year and the Life Sciences Building opened its doors in Spring 2014.
The FOB is currently home to the Department of Economics, which will relocate to the Crabtree Building until construction of the West View Building is complete. The building initially housed departments such as language studies, anthropology, political science, and sociology.
The FOB began as the restrooms and ticket office for the old stadium, according to an article from the BYU College of Family, Home and Social Sciences.
The Cougar Stadium was demolished in 1964, but architects included the stadium’s bathrooms in their plans for the FOB. The old press box was also used for research rooms until the early 2000s.
The FOB was dedicated in 1970 by Elder Ezra Taft Benson, along with the indoor tennis courts and the new football stadium. It initially housed departments such as Language Studies, Anthropology, Political Science and Sociology.
Read the full press release from BYU News.