Students share the ‘Y’ for hiking, lighting the Y

631
From left: Emma Cummings, Macy Conrad and Mikaela Jorgensen hike Y mountain in celebration of BYU Homecoming week on Oct. 9. (Abigail Keenan)

Y mountain was a little more crowded Oct. 9 as students, faculty and BYU President Kevin J Worthen hiked the Y together in honor of 2018’s Homecoming week.

The official hike and lighting of the Y has been a tradition among BYU students, faculty and staff since 1924. Permanent electric lighting was installed in 2016, according to the BYU Student Alumni website.

At 6 p.m., shuttles took students to the base of Y mountain to hike and light the Y by 7:45 p.m. Donuts and hot chocolate were provided at the base of the mountain after the hike.

BYU student Joseph Lewis said he was happy to spend time on the mountain with friends to keep up the university tradition.

“I make it a tradition, I’ve done this for the past two years. It’s fun to look over the valley and watch the sunset with friends,” he said.

BYU Student Alumni committee member Lauren Germann was a volunteer for the event. She said she felt the BYU spirit during the hike.

BYU Food Services provided donuts and hot chocolate to hikers at the base of Y mountain on Oct. 9. (Abigail Keenan)

“I think it’s a great way to show school spirit. Where we go to school is so beautiful, right on the side of the mountain. You’ve got to love being with friends and just celebrating BYU,” she said.

Freshman Kimberly Beck said President Worthen’s speech at the homecoming opening ceremony helped inspire her during the hike.

“I’m still trying to figure out why I’m here. President Worthen’s speech this morning about looking at the mountain and figuring out why you’re here was awesome because I’m not necessarily a hiker,” she said. “With my future in mind, I feel like hiking the Y is a great way to start my college career — creating memories.”

The century-long tradition of hiking Y mountain is encouraged throughout the entire Homecoming week. “Hike the Y” souvenir pins will be given to students who post selfies at the top with the hashtag “#hiketheY” throughout the week.

The Y will be lit every night during Homecoming week. For more information on events happening throughout the week, visit the BYU Homecoming website.