Things you should know today: 6/1/18


5 dead, nearly 200 sickened in romaine lettuce outbreak

Steve Campbell
FILE – This undated photo shows romaine lettuce in Houston. On Friday, June 1, 2018, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said four more deaths have been linked to a national romaine lettuce food poisoning outbreak, bringing the total to 5. (Steve Campbell/Houston Chronicle via AP)

Five people total have died as a result of tainted Arizona-grown romaine lettuce. Though the growing season is over and the tainted lettuce is likely out of grocery stores and people’s homes, more sicknesses have been reported and nearly 200 have been affected by the E.coli outbreak.

Dean-turned-dealer gets up to 26 years for maiming student

Pat Greenhouse/Globe Staff
In this May 30, 2018, photo, Shaun Harrison reacts as attorneys give closing arguments in Suffolk Superior Court in the jury trial of him in Boston. Harrison, the former dean at a Boston high school who was known as an anti-violence advocate, has been convicted of shooting and nearly killing a 17-year-old student. (Pat Greenhouse/The Boston Globe via AP)

Shaun Harrison, a dean at Boston English High School, was convicted of armed assault with the intent to kill after shooting a 17-year-old student in the back of the head who he hired to sell marijuana for him. Harrison shot and seriously injured the boy because he believed he was not generating enough sales and withholding money. Harrison has been fired from his position and sentenced to up to 26 years in prison.

Manhunt: Suspect captured in slaying of Tennessee deputy

In this image released by the Tennessee Highway Patrol, Steven Joshua Wiggins is detained by officers, Friday, June 1, 2018, in Hickman County, Tenn. Wiggins, suspected in the fatal shooting of a Tennessee sheriff’s deputy during a traffic stop, was arrested Friday after a two-day manhunt, authorities said. (Tennessee Highway Patrol via AP)

Steven Joshua Wiggins has been arrested for the murder of Dickson County sheriff’s Sgt. Daniel Baker after a two-day manhunt. Sgt. Daniel Baker responded to a call about a suspicious car when he couldn’t be contacted for some time. His car was eventually tracked down in a wooded area and he was found dead inside of it. A video recording allowed authorities to identify Wiggins as the suspect. He was arrested not far from where the shooting occurred.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email