BYU students and faculty remember President Monson

767
Caleb Smith (right) shares thoughts on President Thomas S. Monson’s recent passing. Smith said his favorite memory of President Monson was of the late prophet wiggling his ears in conference. (Danielle Jardine)
  •  “It wasn’t a sad moment for me because he served probably longer than any other prophet has served, and he did so well. It was a peaceful thing for me.” Caleb Smith, Manufacturing Engineering Technology
John Vineyard (left) recalls the late President Monson’s honorable service for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Vineyeard said he loved how President Monson encouraged young men to use their priesthood. (Danielle Jardine)
  • “He served very admirably, and I think it was just time, for his sake.” John Vineyard, Computer Science
Maddy Harward said she was sad to hear about President Monson’s passing. Harward felt a close connection to President Monson but found comfort in knowing he would be reunited with his late wife. (Danielle Jardine)
  • “It was really heartbreaking because President Monson has been the prophet I remember most. He’s been a strong influence in my life. I see him as a sort of grandfather figure in my life, so I’m sad.” Maddy Harward, Family Life
Political Science Major Desiree Mitchell said she will always remember President Monson as a warm and loving prophet. Mitchell said President Monson’s prolonged illness, while difficult to watch, allowed her to prepare for his passing. (Danielle Jardine)
  • “Once I thought about it I wasn’t as sad anymore because I realized he would be with his wife and I realized it would all work out, like it always does.” Desiree Mitchell, Political Science

Sydney Layton said President Monson’s passing reminded her no one is exempt from mortality and death. Layton said she was happy President Monson could now be reunited with his wife. (Danielle Jardine)
  • “I remember going to President Worthen’s inauguration my freshmen year and there was a complete shift in feeling in the room when President Monson walked in, and it was just powerful.” Sydney Layton, Statistics
Keith Taylor said he received the news of President Monson’s passing when he checked his phone the morning after Monson’s death. Taylor said although he would miss President Monson, the news was not difficult to accept. (Danielle Jardine)
  • “I always liked how he always started General Conference talks with a big joke or something light, he was always easy going.” Keith Taylor, Pre-Elementary Education
Dani Jardine
Boston Kelley said President Monson’s passing was a bitter sweet moment, mourning the loss but happily recalling Monson’s life. Kelley said he always loved President Monson’s personal stories. (Danielle Jardine)
  • “I think it’s cool just to look back on everything he did during his life and his service and legacy.” Boston Kelley, Economics

Comparative Arts and Letters Professor Michael Call said he recently read a book about President Monson’s life enabling him to learn more about the prophet before his passing. Call said the teachings shared in the book gave him an even greater appreciation for the prophet’s ministry. (Danielle Jardine)
  • “I think what I remember most, what stood out to me the most, was his constant attention to the individual.” Michael Call, Comparative Arts and Letters
Religious Education Associate Dean Robert Freeman said he was married the same day President Monson was ordained a second counselor under Ezra Taft Benson in 1985, and as such felt a unique connection to the prophet. (Danielle Jardine)
  • “He’s had a remarkable career as an apostle and blessed so many lives. It’s a time to just be grateful to the entire Monson family for their selflessness in sharing this great leader with us.” Robert Freeman, Associate Dean of Religious Education