White tied for 15th entering final round of NCAA Championship

219
Carrie Roberts
Alexandra White is tied for 19th after a difficult first round of the NCAA Championship. (Carrie Roberts)

BYU senior Alexandra White is tied for 15th place entering the final round of the NCAA Division I Women’s Golf Championship despite difficult weather conditions in Illinois.

“Alex’s 77 was the sixth best score in the morning wave,” said BYU coach Carrie Roberts on Friday. “She played in the hardest weather conditions I have ever seen in a tournament, so her 77 was very impressive today.”

For Friday’s rainy, windy and cold first round, White carded a +3 on the back nine and finished the front nine with a +2. She scored one birdie on the par-5 11th hole. Ranked at No. 67, White finished the round with a 77 (+5).

“The conditions were tough today,” White said. “I believe I can play better. I definitely have some strokes to make up.”

Due to BYU’s policy of not competing in Sunday play, White’s score of 74 (+2) on Thursday afternoon counted as her score for Sunday’s third round.

White will continue NCAA Championship play on Monday at 1:35 p.m. CDT with the rest of the field as Saturday’s round was canceled due to poor weather condition.

Jennifer Kupcho of Wake Forest leads the field at +0 (even par).