Y-Serve event helps children who have lost their hair

364
BYU student Sofia Galan has donated her hair four times to charity to help those who need it (Patricia Nodal).
BYU student Sofia Galan has donated her hair four times to charity, and one of those times was while she was a student at BYU. (Patricia Nodal).

BYU students can donate their hair to children who suffer from hair loss during Y-Serve’s Share Your Hair service event on Feb. 28 and Mar. 1 in the Wilkinson Student Center Terrace.

Share Your Hair executive director Rachel Pedranti said this program is different from most Y-Serve programs because it only happens once a semester instead of once a week.

“It’s also a unique program because participants don’t see the results of their service. We donate the hair and then we never see it again,” Pedranti said. “We don’t know who it goes to or where it goes, which is different but it’s totally worth it.”

Spanish translation senior Sofia Galan has donated her hair four times. She was nine years old the first time she decided to donate because she said she wanted to share something that she had with someone who didn’t have that.

“When I was nine I set a goal to donate my hair at least three times in my life. It’s kind of just been a cycle of cutting and growing my hair because I’ve now donated it four times,” Galan said. “I love it, I grow my own hair so that I can give it to someone who can’t do it themselves.”

Galan said she was able to donate at BYU during last year’s Share Your Hair event.

Y-Serve director Chris Crippen said he loves seeing students willingness to step up and donate something so valuable to them.

“I’m grateful to each of those who sacrifice in this special way, and to the student leaders who manage the event,” Crippen said.

All hair will be donated to Locks of Love or Pantene. Hair length must be at least eight inches long. Hair can be dyed but not bleached.

Stylists from the Paul Mitchell school and Renaissance Academy will be providing the hair cuts free of charge in the WSC terrace on Feb. 28 and Mar. 1 from 10:30–2:30. For more information, click here.