BYU women’s soccer wins fourth straight with shutout victory

409
Michele Vasconcelos celebrates after scoring a goal against SMU. Vasconcelos, a senior captain, scored two goals in BYU's 4-0 win. (BYU Photo)
Michele Vasconcelos celebrates after scoring a goal against SMU. Vasconcelos, a senior captain, scored two goals in BYU’s 4-0 win. (BYU Photo)

The BYU women’s soccer team picked up its fourth straight win – and second straight shutout – with a 4-0 victory over SMU on Thursday night in Provo.

“It was a great night and a real complete performance by all our team,” said BYU head coach Jennifer Rockwood.

In minute No. 30 BYU found its first goal when Paige Hunt Barker collected a deflected ball and fired to the top left corner of the keeper.

“Whenever Michele gets the ball on the end line I know she will get a cross in,” Barker said. “I did my part making the backpost run in case anything came through and it came right to me.”

BYU came out strong in the second half applying pressure to regain quick possession.

In the minute No. 47 Ashley Hatch dribbled by a defender and sent a cross towards the PK spot where Michele Vasconcelos smashed a one-time hit to put BYU up 2-0.

Shortly after the Cougars found their third goal in similar fashion. A cross from Hatch found the feet of midfielder Elena Medeiros. Medeiros was able to place the ball low and to the corner to extend BYU’s lead to 3-0.

In the 61st and 72nd minutes SMU found shots on goal, but Hannah Clark made two impressive diving saves.

Vasconcelos found her second goal of the night in minute No. 71. The Cougar captain dribbled into the box and slotted the ball to the right of the keeper.

“I try to lead on the field as a captain by working hard and being an example,” Vasconcelos said. “I also try to score or create a scoring opportunity.”

The Cougars now prepare to face No. 19 Ohio State on the road. The game kicks off at 5 p.m. MDT on Monday, Sept. 12.