Hoverboard bursts into flames at Helaman Halls

213

A BYU sports camp participant brought a hoverboard to camp, but won’t be leaving with it — the hoverboard caught on fire around 8 p.m. on June 22 at May Hall in Helaman Halls.

The board owner and his roommate were riding the hoverboard inside their dorm room when the board started to smoke, according to University Police. The smoke filled the entire third floor as the boys took the board from their room to metal stairwell.

In the stairwell, the board burst into flames and a camp councilor put out the flames using a fire extinguisher.

The Provo Fire Department was called to ventilate the building and take the scattered pieces of the hoverboard. The only damage from the incident was to the metal stairwell, which features a few scorch marks.

BYU has a policy of no hoverboard or hoverboard-like items on campus.

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email