Alumni Spotlight: I wish I had done _____ at BYU

515

We gave a few alumni a chance to look back at their time at the Y and asked what more they wish they had done while attending campus as a student. Here are some responses:

Erick Wadsworth

Eric Wadsworth
B.G.S. with an emphasis on family history
1969-1972, returned to finish his degree in 2010

“Graduated when my education was paid for. I entered BYU in the fall of 1969 on a full ride athletic scholarship to run track. Running on the track team provided me with an opportunity to interact with some amazing individuals, both members of the track team and coaches. Several members of the track team joined the Church during the two and a half years I ran for BYU. Traveling the United States for various track meets offered an opportunity to see our country, which I would not have enjoyed without being a member of the team. Unfortunately, during my junior year I began experiencing pain in my right leg as I worked out. A doctor diagnosed a deformed hip from birth was causing the pain. My running career ended with that conclusion. I left on my mission and did not return to school until 2004, when I enrolled in the Bachelor of General Studies program.”

Ashley Dewey

Ashley Dewey
B.A. Linguistics
Class of 2013

“When I was at BYU I wish I would have gotten married jk… I wish I would have completed a minor. This would have provided more job opportunities after graduation. I also wish that I had spent more time taking classes just for the fun of learning or developing talents. BYU has so much to offer. Over all when I look back on my time at BYU I think of how blessed my life has been because of my experience.”

Daniel Clayton

Daniel Clayton

B.S. Accounting

Class of 1998

“When I was at BYU, I wish I had had more opportunity to get to know real world experiences of my professors. In many ways they seemed untouchable/inaccessible for more than assignment discussions. I don’t know that I had too many clear conversations on all the potential careers out there. Looking back, I understand the highly rated Accounting program I was in, was excellent, but it also sacrificed a balanced perspective of the world –post the first two years out of college. I guess at the heart I was pretty driven internally, trying to discover a world different than the careers of my parents or others I knew, which made me a little hungry for advice and direction. Too often I ran into people who seemed to excel for the sake of excelling rather than for the sake of learning or achieving something great. What I regret is letting this perspective turn me away from my peers or professors. I got a little bitter about the ‘culture’ but in reality it was only a small group of people. Because of that perspective I have no BYU peers that I have kept in contact with over the years. I essentially had to start my network from scratch. In fact participating on Utah Valley Universities Internal Audit Advisory Board is in part an effort to give back in a way that I wish had been available to me.”

Cecily McDonald

Cecily McDonald
B.S. Elementary Education
Class of 2015

“I wish I had gone on a study abroad. I was on the BYU Track and Field team, which was a unique activity I was lucky to be a part of at BYU. I gained a lot of experiences being on this team and for the most part I loved it, but it didn’t leave me a lot of time for anything else besides academics. Outdoor track went into Spring Semester, which is one of the only times I could have been gone on a study abroad. I love traveling and wish I could have found a way to learn abroad during my time at BYU.”

Ryan Lew

Ryan Lew
B.S. Neuroscience
Class of 2015

“When I was at BYU, I wish I had taken more half credit courses. I was so focused on trying to graduate that I overlooked many classes BYU had to offer. In the last semester of my college career, I took my very first student activity class. It was tennis and was the first time I was enrolled for something that wasn’t a requirement for GE’s or my major. I loved it. It was something that I was very interested in and it helped introduce me to other people who shared that common interest. I made quick friends with my fellow classmates and even continued to play tennis with a few of them after the class ended. I also wished I had taken a few classes that would have helped me transition to the college graduate life. Classes such as personal or family finance would have been very useful to me now.”
Shelly Baird with her husband
Shelly Baird with her husband

Shelly Acor Baird

B.A. English Teaching
Class of 1993
“I wish I had done more than just push through the coursework.  I wish I had been more involved in campus life, joined a club or two.  I also wish I had taken courses outside my major – something for fun.  I was a transfer student and by the time I went to BYU I just wanted to get through.  I realize now there is more to life and would have liked a broader experience.”

Through it all alumni reflect what might have been, but they maintain a look to the future. BYU continues to bring students and faculty together to make the world our campus.