The city of Provo is holding a celebration for International Women’s Day for the first time. The event is called #ProvoWomensDay and the city will be hosting an array of guest speakers along with a bike ride, art discussion and concert.
The city hopes this event will grow into a tradition that will help promote visibility of women in the city. While the events are free, they all have limited seating so interested individuals must reserve seating by visiting the event website.
Lecture Series: All will be held in the City Council Chamber at 351 W Center Street from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- 9:00 a.m. – Breakfast with Sue and Mayor Curtis: “Women & Parenting, Relationships and Community”
- 10:00 a.m. – Susan Petersen, Founder and CEO of Freshly Picked: “Women & Entrepreneurship”
- 10:30 a.m. – Mica McGriggs, Ph.D. candidate in Counseling Psychology at BYU: “Let’s get in Formation: How Black consciousness liberates all marginalized groups”
- 11:00 a.m. – Alicia Gettys: “Sometimes Charities Faileth – Do Good Better”
- 11:30 a.m. – Michele Kaufusi: “Women & Our Education System”
- 1:00 p.m. – Jessica Preece: “Women & Politics”
- 1:30 p.m. – Dr. Heather Belnap Jensen, Associate Professor of Art History & Women’s Students, BYU: “Taking it to the Streets: Women, Art, and Social Activism”
- 2:00 p.m. – Sherrie Hall Everett: “Women & Local Politics”
- 2:30 p.m. – Shelley Ver Steeg: “Every Day Philanthropy”
- 3:00 p.m. – Erin Davis, UVU Aviation Dispatcher: “Women & Aviation”
- 3:30 p.m. – Sariah Masterson, Program Director at V School & GDI Provo Organizer: “Why should I learn to code?/How can I share my love for technology with the community?”
- 6:00 p.m. – Bike Ride to Empower Women: This event is open to everyone and will be an easy three-mile ride around the city. The ride will start at the corner of University Ave & Center Street by the Historic County Courthouse.
- 6:00 p.m. – Music Event: Come listen to local artist Alyssa Pyper.
- 7:00 p.m. – Art Discussion: There will be a round table panel that will discuss the impact of women in the growth of Provo.
- 8:00 p.m. – Film Screening: This event is sold out. There will be a screening of the film “Suffragette.”