One killed and three wounded in Tennessee State shooting

A police car leaves the campus of Tennessee State University early Friday, Oct. 23, 2015, in Nashville, Tenn. Authorities say one person was killed and two others hospitalized in a shooting Thursday night at an outdoor courtyard. A campus spokesperson said the person killed wasn't enrolled at the school. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)
A police car leaves the campus of Tennessee State University early Friday, Oct. 23, 2015, in Nashville, Tenn. (Associated Press)

The last victim of a shooting at Tennessee State University left the hospital Friday as police continued to search for the shooter.

The shooting occurred in an outdoor courtyard during an argument over a dice game at about 10:50 p.m. Thursday, Metro Nashville Police Spokesman Don Aaron said. Cameron Selmon, 19, of Memphis, was killed. He was not a student. Three women, all 18-year-old students, were passing by the courtyard when they were injured by the gunfire.

One victim was merely grazed and did not require hospitalization. The other was treated and released from Vanderbilt University Medical Center earlier Friday. Police have not released their names.

It wasn’t known whether the shooter, who fled the scene on foot, was a student, Aaron said.

“This was an isolated shooting incident in a courtyard,” Aaron said. “There were never, we believe, any other students in danger in dormitories or elsewhere on campus.”

Several students used their phones to record the fight. Police have obtained some video, but encouraged other students who scattered when the shooting began to come forward with further recordings and information.

“The person who fired those shots put innocent persons in extreme danger in this isolated incident,” Aaron said. “We’re hoping that TSU students that have this video, have this knowledge, understand that this person put them in danger tonight, and will report what they know.”

Police did not yet have a description of the suspect, and could not say whether an exchange of gunfire occurred until the evidence is analyzed.

On Friday afternoon, security guards at campus gates were restricting access to people who had TSU identification.

The shooting comes just over a week after three people were wounded by gunfire at an off-campus party across the street from the school.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email