BYU ROTC graduate promoted to major

466
Timmons poses for photo with his wife, son, and parents. His parents flew in for the weekend for the promotion. (Shombree Wojcik)
Jeffrey Timmons poses for photo with his wife, son, and parents. His parents flew in for the weekend for the promotion. (Shombree Wojcik)

BYU graduate and Army Captain Jeffrey L. Timmons was promoted to the rank of major on May 27. He received the rank at Brigham Young University in the Memorial Hall, where ROTC members, faculty and family gathered to watch.

Timmons graduated from BYU in 2005 with a degree in English. While at BYU he was also a cadet in the Army ROTC program. He was commissioned as an officer in the aviation branch after his graduation from BYU.

“The aviation branch was a great fit for him,” said ROTC Department Secretary Carin Delos Santos. “Because he flew Kiowa helicopters, which he loved.”

Timmons came back to BYU in 2012 and has since earned an MBA through the Executive MPA Program.

Lieutenant Colonel Chanda Mofu, department head of the Army ROTC, conducted the ceremony, where he gave a few words about the impact Timmons has had at BYU.

“We do consider the military a profession, just like a doctor,” Mofu said.”We constantly learn new things.”

Mofu used this analogy to explain the importance of being promoted.

“This is a special place for Major Timmons,” Mofu said of Timmon’s experience at BYU. “He met his wife, got an education and grew as a man.”

Mofu also spoke about the admiration cadets have for Timmons.

“He has a love for the students, and it is a testament to the way he has influenced these young cadets,” Mofu said. “You can tell just by the crowd that is here today to support him.”

Nikki and Enoch put the new shoulder boards on Timmons for his new rank. Timmons wife Nikki and son Enoch were there to watch the promoted. (Shombree Wojcik)
Timmons’ wife, Nikki, and son, Enoch, put the new shoulder boards on Timmons for his new rank. (Shombree Wojcik)

Following those words Timmons wife, Nikki, and 7-year-old son, Enoch, pinned his new rank onto his uniform. His family has traveled for more than 10 years while Timmons has been in the Army.

Timmons’ father, Tim Timmons, then gave a few words.

“It’s an honor as a retired officer to be here with my son today,” he said. “I have enlisted a number of soldiers and three of my own sons.”

Tim Timmons made the joke that he was happy he was still able to put on his uniform or “blues.”

“This is a proud moment,” he said. “I served, but I never expected my sons to do the same.”

Tim Timmons administered the Oath of Office.

Jeffrey Timmons closed with a few words of his own.

“Whatever I have given, everyone else has given me more,” he said. “People at BYU have surpassed me in ways of teaching me and touching my life. I am excited for this new chapter as a major.”

Jeffrey Timmons will do more research in his newly promoted position after 10 years of flying helicopters in places like Afghanistan.

He said the last 10 years haven’t been easy, due to the danger and being away from his family. He hoped that with the BYU Detachment life would slow down.

“It hasn’t been easier,” he said. “Balancing military life and family is hard enough, and then I decided to get my master’s at BYU.”

Jeffrey Timmons has spent a lot of nights in classes and studying.

“I am lucky to have my wife,” he said. “I wouldn’t choose anyone else to love or have love me back.”

He closed by honoring the names on the wall in the Memorial Hall of those who have lost their lives fighting for freedom.

“My good friend Scott P. Pace is on that wall,” he said. “I wouldn’t be here with all these freedoms I have if it weren’t for Scotty and these other names.”

Jeffrey Timmons is running a 50-mile race in remembrance of Scott Pace in the next few weeks.

The new major has helped serve the cadets at BYU, and he relates to them because he has been in their shoes. It has allowed him to give valuable insight.

Timmons snaps a photo with Lieutenant Colonel Chanda Mofu. Mofu conducted the promotion ceremony. (Shombree Wojcik)
Jeffrey Timmons snaps a photo with Lieutenant Colonel Chanda Mofu. Mofu conducted the promotion ceremony. (Shombree Wojcik)

“Mr. and Mrs. Timmons have raised a good man,” Mofu said. “He has left his fingerprints here at BYU because of his leadership and hard work.”

Jeffrey Timmons has been at BYU for almost three years. He is transferring to Kansas this summer.

“Captain Timmons has been an excellent example to our cadets,” Delos Santos said. “He has helped many of them develop into strong soldiers and future leaders.”

“This is where it all started,” Jeffrey Timmons said. “I learned to be an officer, leader and most importantly to care for others.”

The new major wanted to remind all cadets in the BYU ROTC program to be excited about life and hard work

“It’s these things who have made me who I am today,” he said. “This has all been a blessing in my life.”